This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel time payment for hourly employees New York

The company I work for has customers all of the US. If I am asked to fly on a commercial airline to a customer site, what is considered "hours worked"? For example, let's say I have to start work Monday morning at 8 AM at a customer in Texas, and I leave NYS at 2 PM and get into Dallas at 10 PM, then I have to drive to the hotel for another hour. How much time is "hours worked"? Due to current airport security requirements, and I have to get to the airport at noon to catch the 2 PM flight, are those 2 hours considered "hours worked"?

Are you exempt or non-exempt?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I'm assuming nonexempt, since the subject line of the thread included the word "hourly".

You must be paid for all hours spent in out-of-town travel if the hours coincide with your regular work schedule, even if the travel occurs on a nonscheduled work day. For example, if your work schedule was 8-5 with a one hour lunch, you would have to be compensated for any travel that occurred between 8-12 and 1-5, but not travel that occurred before 8 or after 5.
      http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.39.htm
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong pattymd!

In this example, only time physically spent on the plane as a passenger would be considered travel time (under the exceptions already mentioned by pattymd). The check in and security and all that would not. Is that your understanding also?

Comment

It is, robb71. Although, just for giggles, many employers I know of pay that also; it just isn't stated in the regulations that they must.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for the help

Thanks for the information and DOL link. The question was for non-exempt, as you assumed.

Comment

Working...
            X