This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York

My employer pays employees exempt from overtime as of recent. They decided that these employees were in fact exempt. ALL EMPLOYEES AVERAGE APPROXIMATELY 20 TO 25 HOURS OF mandatory overtime PER WEEK. Is it legal to change the rules in the middle of the game. Employees are fearful of complaining becuase they fear losing thier jobs. Someone please respond. These employees are unable to hire and can only suggest discipline for field staff. Managers make the final determination and the company has a personnel department do all hiring and process applicants. Can the employer legally do this to the employees?
    Last edited by miasabuela; 06-26-2006, 02:42 PM.

Supervising employees is only one small way that an employee may qualify as exempt but it is by no means the only way. You can find more at www.dol.gov in the FLSA section.

If the employees qualify as exempt then yes, the employer can treat them as such even if they used to pay on an hourly basis. The amount of OT is irrelevant.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
    X