Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Holidays in part time job New Mexico

Dear Members,
    I work part time 30 hrs for a company from Monday to Thursday (8 hrs for 3 days and 6 hr on one day). But I am not paid by hours, I am paid monthly salary in the middle of the month.

My question is if one of my working days is a federal holiday (like this coming Monday is memorial day federal holiday), am i required to complete the hours for that week by law (in this case by working on Friday coming after Monday)? I know Federal holidays are paid holidays but does New Mexico Labor law say anything about it? If my employer tries to make me work to complete the hours can I say legally that I am not required to complete the hours since Monday was a federal holiday?

Please guide and advice.

Federal holidays have no application to private businesses. Your employer is the one who decides how many hours and when you work. They do have to pay you correctly for that work, but do not have to let you off for any holidays or pay you for them.

You say you are salaried, but are you exempt from OT? If you worked more than 40 hours in a given week, they might owe you overtime. But any paid timeoff hours (such as holidays or paid sick/vacation time) do not count as worked hours.

Comment

Originally posted by hr for me View Post
      Federal holidays have no application to private businesses. Your employer is the one who decides how many hours and when you work. They do have to pay you correctly for that work, but do not have to let you off for any holidays or pay you for them.

You say you are salaried, but are you exempt from OT? If you worked more than 40 hours in a given week, they might owe you overtime. But any paid timeoff hours (such as holidays or paid sick/vacation time) do not count as worked hours.
      Thanks for the guidance sir. What is OT?

I also want to ask you about full time. My employer says that if I work full time, the full time will be 50 tp 60 hours per week, and I will be paid one time salary for that i.e. 25*60, is this correct way to do it?

Comment

Overtime is hours worked past 40 in the workweek. Assuming that you are non-exempt.

What is your industry? What are your actual job duties?
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
          Overtime is hours worked past 40 in the workweek. Assuming that you are non-exempt.

What is your industry? What are your actual job duties?
          I am in R&D, my job duties are design, construction, test scientific instruments and perform experimental work.

Comment

It is very possible that you qualify as exempt. In that case, you are paid to get the job done and not by the hour. Your employer may still insist you work a certain schedule or certain number of hours, but you receive the same compensation no matter how many hours you work.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
            X