X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks notice in New Jersey New Jersey

hi,
    my question is regarding giving a job two weeks notice in the state of New Jersey, can i legally give a two weeks notice to my employer and leave the job, not working those two weeks without any repercussions or must i work those two weeks? I've been told that i don't have to work them, but if i ever need unemplyment would that affect my getting it? I really need to leave this job it's a horrible little retail jig thats pushing me over the edge! please help!

There is no law in any state that requires an employee to give two weeks notice or to stand by it if you do.

However, I can't answer the question of whether or not you would get unemployment. That is far too state and situation specific for us to determine; only your state UI office can give you the answer to that one.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

wow, thanks

thank you so much for clearing that up for me and so quickly, i'm not really worried about unemployment benefits, i have no issues with getting another job, my only issue was with the two weeks notice, i just don't want them to be angry with me for problems they caused, again thanks for the quick answer

Comment

Normally, you can't get UI when you quit a job - whether you work the two weeks or not. (though we don't know your complete situation)

We can't say whether your employer will be "angry" with you or not for giving two weeks notice & then not working the time. However, you do not have to work it. If you are terminated from a job in the future, leaving this job w/o working the 2 wks. most likely won't be a reason to deny you UI in the future. It will depend on why you are let go from that job.
        Last edited by Betty3; 02-21-2008, 10:34 PM.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X