Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NH - Salaried Exempt Emp. Weekly Hours?

Are you able to tell me how many hours an exempt salary employee is expeted to work for the specified minimum of $455 per week. I am in the state of NH. I am told that I am and exempt salaried employee by my employer. I am paid 24,000 annually but am REQUIRED to work a minimum of 50 hours per week. As I see in the guidelines on many sites breaks and lunches are not required to be provided. This is also true of my situation. I am told that policy is a 'working lunch' to be eaten at the work station. I am not to leave during the day. A 'now and then errand (to pick up lunch) is acceptable but should not be made a habit. 5 - 10 hour days per week. I would like to know if this is standard or if the $455 stated on the site is for 40 hours making the minimum for 50 hours 568.75. Thank You for your time. If you have suggestions as to where I may find this information via the web it is also greatly appreciated. Additionally... Can the benifits which they offer to me (which are company paid) have a monotary value which they may tell me increases the 'salary' they are currently paying me.

A salaried exempt employee in any state is expected to work as many hours as it takes to complete their work. It is by no means unusual for an exempt employee to be expected to work 50, 60 or more hours a week on a regular basis.

NH law permits an employer to require a "working lunch" if the employee's work is such that it can be done.

The $455 minimum is NOT based on a 40 hour week. For some reason many exempt employees mistakenly believe that their salary covers 40 hours a week and that any time over and above that is unpaid. That is not the case. The salary covers all the time that is worked, whether that be 35 hours or 70 hours. Exempts are not paid on the basis of how many hours they work. There are no circumstances in which an employee who is correctly classified as exempt is entitled to any compensation over and above their regular salary unless the employer chooses to give it to them.

All of that being said, it is the employee's job duties that determine whether or not they can be classifed as exempt. Being as specific as you can, what is it that you do?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I value the job I am currently employed by so my details are not as specific as you would like them I'm sure. I am not impressed by the way that I was, in my opinion, deceived prior to taking the position. However, policies are guidelines and things can change. My eyes are still open to the classifieds. I believe that it should be made much more clear to new hires exactly what their job duties include. And just how much 'on site' is required and the exact expectations for the position. It is my fault, I'm sure, that I did not specifically inquire about lunch policies. And when I asked what the hours were and was told everyone works a nine hour shift I'm sure that it's also my fault that I did not get it in writting and have since been told that the shift has always been and will continue to be 10 hours. And let us not forget that after being told that the annual salary was X amount and giving my 2 weeks notice (closer to 3) and then beginning the new job only to find out that the annual salary is a substantial amount less. So, Let's just say I am not an overly happy employee. But, as mentioned... notice had been given... and that's the way it goes. Salary is often mistaken as a set income for a job complete. Whether or not the job takes 40 hours, 60 hours, or 35 hours. It also gives the impression that I should know when my job is complete, and I should not feel I have short changed the employer by working a partial day. Employees, who's presence is required to make the business run, should be paid at an hourly rate. Unless I'm just working too much and no one is telling me. But I don't want to sit with an empty office. Nothing will get done then.

Comment

exempt employees

Exempt Employee if they are told that they are expected to work 46 to 52 hrs
        a week but the company schedules them to work 54 or more is this legal? If the exempt employee works 40 t0 52 hrs during this work week is the employer aloud to dock them their personal time? I thought that NH laws stated that if they work any hrs during that week they were to be paid for the full week. If an exempt employee is out on worker comp and they work one day in one week and three days in the next week should they get thier full salary or should they just get the workers comp pay which is only 60% of thier pay?

Comment

Working...
        X