Night Shift: Nevada Nevada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Shift: Nevada Nevada

Hello everyone, we are looking to hire hourly employees for the night shift in Nevada. I was just curious on a few questions:

1) Is there a requirement to give them a different higher pay rate than someone who's working the day shift?
    2) If it's not legally required but you want do provide a higher rate, what would be a good % increase rate for the night shift?
    3) Any difference in how you handle meal and rest breaks for the night shift?

Thanks everyone!

Jennifer

1.) No. Shift differentials are not required by law.
    2.) That's hard to estimate. On the rare occasions that I've seen shift differentials, they were usually a couple dollars an hour. YMMV
    3.) Not usually, no, not unless the staffing is such that there's no way for the night shift worker to take a break and still provide coverage
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I checked several companies & they all happen to pay $2.00 an hr. extra for night shift.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

We're probably a little more generous than the "normal" differential rate for this area but we pay 10% of the ee's hourly rate.
        "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          I checked several companies & they all happen to pay $2.00 an hr. extra for night shift.
          Thanks! How were you able to check what other companies pay?

Comment

Shift differentials vary a lot. It also depends what the employee is asked to do (if night shift is less work then it is not usually offered), how hard it is to find employees to work that shift (the harder to find the more $ to entice), and what the employees are making to begin with. $2 an hour extra for someone making $50 an hour isn't going to make much difference but it is a huge increase for someone making minimum wage.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Agreed with the above. Also, ask you self exactly what itch you are trying to scratch? If for some reason everyone wants to work nights, why offer a shift-diff? And if no one wants to work nights even with the shift-diff, why offer the shift diff? The whole point of the shift diff is to solve a specific problem. Not to be "fair" or to do whatever everyone else is doing. If GM has a 10% shift diff, why does the neighboring diner care? However getting your staff to work late to take care of GM's night shift workers, THAT makes sense.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

You should be able to do a google search & find what some companies are paying - that's where I got my info & also in an employment law loose leaf binder I have with pages/chapters on various employment info & law.

Paying extra for night shift isn't a state or federal law though.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                X