No Lunch Nevada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Lunch Nevada

hello im new to this forum but i had a quick question. SO i got a new job a (car) dealership as a tech but the lunch breaks dont seem right. A lot of days we do not get one lunch or even break working 9 hrs straight. I wanted to know if this was unlawful or if i can do something about it because i cant take it no more, i need food in my system lol
    Last edited by Betty3; 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM. Reason: remove name of employer

Nevada:

NRS 608.019 Periods for meals and rest.

1. An employer shall not employ an employee for a continuous period of 8 hours without permitting the employee to have a meal period of at least one-half hour. No period of less than 30 minutes interrupts a continuous period of work for the purposes of this subsection.

2. Every employer shall authorize and permit all his employees to take rest periods, which, insofar as practicable, shall be in the middle of each work period. The duration of the rest periods shall be based on the total hours worked daily at the rate of 10 minutes for each 4 hours or major fraction thereof. Rest periods need not be authorized however for employees whose total daily work time is less than 3 and one-half hours. Authorized rest period shall be counted as hours worked, for which there shall be no deduction from wages.

3. This section does not apply to:

(a) Situations where only one person is employed at a particular place of employment.

(b) Employees included within the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement.

4. An employer may apply to the Labor Commissioner for an exemption from providing to all or to one or more defined categories of his employees one or more of the benefits conferred by this section. The Labor Commissioner may grant the exemption if he believes the employer has shown sufficient evidence that business necessity precludes providing such benefits. Any exemption so granted shall apply to members of either sex.

5. The Labor Commissioner may by regulation exempt a defined category of employers from providing to all or to one or more defined categories of their employees one or more of the benefits conferred by this section, upon his own motion or upon the application of an association of employers. Each such application shall be considered at a hearing and may be granted if the Labor Commissioner finds that business necessity precludes providing that particular benefit or benefits to the employees affected. Any exemption so granted shall
    apply to members of either sex.

Violations are to be reported to the Nevada Division of Industrial Relations (Nv. "DOL").
    Last edited by Betty3; 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      Nevada:

NRS 608.019 Periods for meals and rest.

1. An employer shall not employ an employee for a continuous period of 8 hours without permitting the employee to have a meal period of at least one-half hour. No period of less than 30 minutes interrupts a continuous period of work for the purposes of this subsection.

2. Every employer shall authorize and permit all his employees to take rest periods, which, insofar as practicable, shall be in the middle of each work period. The duration of the rest periods shall be based on the total hours worked daily at the rate of 10 minutes for each 4 hours or major fraction thereof. Rest periods need not be authorized however for employees whose total daily work time is less than 3 and one-half hours. Authorized rest period shall be counted as hours worked, for which there shall be no deduction from wages.

3. This section does not apply to:

(a) Situations where only one person is employed at a particular place of employment.

(b) Employees included within the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement.

4. An employer may apply to the Labor Commissioner for an exemption from providing to all or to one or more defined categories of his employees one or more of the benefits conferred by this section. The Labor Commissioner may grant the exemption if he believes the employer has shown sufficient evidence that business necessity precludes providing such benefits. Any exemption so granted shall apply to members of either sex.

5. The Labor Commissioner may by regulation exempt a defined category of employers from providing to all or to one or more defined categories of their employees one or more of the benefits conferred by this section, upon his own motion or upon the application of an association of employers. Each such application shall be considered at a hearing and may be granted if the Labor Commissioner finds that business necessity precludes providing that particular benefit or benefits to the employees affected. Any exemption so granted shall
      apply to members of either sex.

Violations are to be reported to the Nevada Division of Industrial Relations (Nv. "DOL").

SO what i am getting from this, is that there is exception for the no lunch rule. This is really anoyying at work and i get headaches from the amount of work we are put through

Comment

There are exemptions to the meal & rest break rules noted above under #'s 3, 4 & 5 though #'s 4 & 5 have to be granted by the Labor Commissioner.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If you are working through lunch, is this being treated as hours worked?
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Not OP's question but good question, DAW.

OP, are you getting paid for all hours you work? (example - if you work through lunch, do you get paid for that time?)

Comment

Working...
            X