This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal Payroll deduction?

I live in Nevada and work at a cab company. My Employer is taking money out of my paycheck for health benefits I'm not eligible for, for 9 more months. I've asked my union and they say they will challenge the company on this issue if I can come up with past cases or information on where it says it's illegal.

After doing a little research, I've come across a case in Chicago where a man was sued by the Department of Labor for illegally deducting money from employee paychecks for medical coverage without actually paying its employees’ medical bills and not telling them. It goes on to say it's in violation of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), which I don't really understand.

In any case, I would like to know if this is illegal in Nevada, and what act, bill, law, ect. says so. I know I'm asking a lot, but its not just for me, 1200 union members are riding on this as well.

ERISA is a federal law. You can contact the federal DOL and file a complaint.

I have to say, though, why the heck isn't the union dealing with the employer on this? Since so many employees, THEIR MEMBERS are being affected, the UNION should be grieving this on your behalf. Isn't that what you pay dues for? It doesn't have to be illegal, although it is, it just has to be WRONG.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 11-19-2010, 04:25 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
    X