This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable Accomodation??? Nevada

I have a few questions re: asking for an accommodation due to my disability. I am currently on intermittent FMLA.

My employer is very a very large retailer with over 1800 stores each with approx 150 employees. They require us to work a corp schedule where we have Wed/Thurs off one week, Mon/Tues the next, Sat/Sun then split days Sun/Fri. I spoke with the Ops Mngr last week and asked if they could let me avoid the splits for a while as one day off did not give my body enough time to recover after working six in a row. He agreed to my request.

While my co worker was writing the schedule I let her know the situation and she pointed out that doing so would have me working 7 or 8 in a row two weeks out of the month. I physically can't do it. Would it be reasonable to temporarily ask for a complete adjustment of the corporate schedule? Same days off each week maybe. I know they will resist due to other employees and fairness.

One last thing, in trying to accommodate me, can they force me to change positions? I am in an hourly+commission job (many years) and will not even come close to making the same income if they move me.

Thanks for any help, suggestions or opinions.

It seems reasonable to me, but you will need to address this issue with your employer.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

What is your disability? Do you have a doctor's recommendation supporting not working split shifts?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
        What is your disability? Do you have a doctor's recommendation supporting not working split shifts?
        I was diagnosed with Fibromalgia 5 years ago, also have Epstein Barr, Chronic Fatigue, Sleep Apnea, degenerative disk disease and chronic depression. I had managed pretty well up until two years ago and then everything went haywire. Hospitalized twice in last 6 mo for heart issue (ended up being fine) and cyst on my brain, along with 2 surgeries (gallbladder and )shoulder. I'm on the edge of a breakdown LOL, sorry, if I don't laugh I'll never stop crying. My doctor is in full support. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I'm sorry I had to ask. Bless your heart for continuing to try to work.

I agree with Catbert that this sounds like a reasonable accommodation to me, but again, you'll have to see what the employer decides.

God bless you.
          Last edited by Pattymd; 06-30-2010, 06:45 PM.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks Pattymd.

Sorry about unloading that list here. Try not to complain to my family so sometimes I just need to let it out Thanks for the well wishes and I will let you know what happens at work.

God bless you also!

Comment

All that, and you're still working? You're AWESOME!!! No wonder you're depressed! Good luck.
              I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Agree, you're "awesome" for wanting & still trying to work. The very best of luck to you. Take care.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Many employers would love to have an employee like you!!!

I wish half my employees had your dedication.

Comment

Thank you ALL so much for the encouraging and kind words

I'm only 41 (although my son thinks that is OLD LOL) and I have a difficult time mentally with the thought of not working. I just wasn't raised that way.

Thanks again everyone, it gave me a lift and a smile today

Comment

Working...
                    X