This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is working 30 days straight legal ? Nevada

is working 30 days straight legal in the state of Nevada?
    I have a co- worker that is doing this in order to get 40 hrs a week . Sometimes on some days she is off at 1am and back at 6am. She also stays for flight delays. ( we are a airline handler). I am concerned as she is making errors and has been snapping to customers lately. Does one need to sign a waiver ? To me this is not living and really can cause health issues as well.

Yes, this is legal in Nevada unless there would be a binding employment contract to the contrary. Nevada is not one of the few states that has a "one day off in 7" law.

There are exceptions for minors & occupations with safety concerns such as long haul trucker, airline pilot ....
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Do you feel it is a saftey issue?

Comment

Even if OP believes it's a safety issue, there is no law against it. Nv. has no one day of rest off in 7 & the occupation is not one that has a law limiting the # of hrs./days in a row that can be worked. (some occupations do - such as those I mentioned)
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

& yes, pigz, I know you will come back & "argue."

Comment

God, let's hope not!!!

Comment

We are an airline ground handling company. 1 night of the week this lady is off at 0100 and back on shift at 0600 off for 2 hrs and back on again. In order for her to get 40 hrs a week, she works ever night and some days splits.

She did not sign a waiver and actually bid these hrs to work. I am the Lead in the dept and she is making errors on claims and has been very short and abrasive with some co-workers and customers. I am concerened as she needs her job and I think she is hust overtired. I think the company should just say no to 7 days a wek employment for a month.

Comment

The company can do that, but it doesn't have to. I agree, though, that is she is making mistakes, you need to counsel her on it as her supervisor. Personally, I would not even the address the reason that you think she is making too many errors (although you may be right). She either fixes the errors or is subject to whatever discipline the company (and, it sounds like maybe a union contract?) provides for.

This is not a "safety issue" that would limit her hours/days worked in a row.

Edited to add: I see that you are not her supervisor, so YOU can't do the above, but her supervisor can.
                Last edited by Pattymd; 04-12-2010, 11:26 PM.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Although nothing in the OSHA law specifically gives an employee the right to refuse to perform an unsafe or unhealthful job assignment, OSHA's regulations, which have been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, provide that an employee may refuse to work when faced with an imminent danger of death or serious injury. The conditions necessary to justify a work refusal are very stringent, however, and a work refusal should be taken only as a last resort. If time permits, the employee should report the unhealthful or unsafe condition to OSHA or another appropriate regulatory agency.

So what I was talking about (before the pack decided to put words in my mouth) was if that other person is doing something that is causing errors and making you feel unsafe you can

A) Refuse to work (as iam not sure what is requred from you), Contact managment and let them know your consern. If nothing is done contact OSHA and let them know your consern.

B) Continue to do your work and feel unsafe

While option A might not get you anywere, at least it would give you a helping hand IF something unsafe ever did happen.

Cheers
                  Squills

“He who risks and fails can be forgiven. He who never risks and never fails is a failure in his whole being.”

Comment

The poster gave no indication that he feels he cannot work "safely" based on this employee's errors. He certainly isn't feeling "unsafe" because she snaps at customers. He was asking about the legality of the work hours for HER, which are perfectly, 100% legal.
                    Last edited by Pattymd; 04-12-2010, 11:27 PM.
                    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I never said it was not legal. But I dont know there job description or what they do, but error's can cause death or serious problems and with most people saftey is a #1 concern.

Take it how ever you want, but I am sure the OP is glad to have the info.
                      Cheers
                      squills

Comment

We don't even know what type of errors the person is making. She may just be sending baggage for New York to New Delhi.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys!
                          This lady is not driving the Jet Bridge to the airplane, because then it definitely would be a safety issue.

She is actually a very nice person, but has literally become very agitated and flies off the handle if a customer or co- worker asks a question.
                          on Sunday she had 6 complaints against her and 3 today.

When she has created claims, she has put in the wrong info in the computer and wrong street addresses whcih costs money for both passengers and the company. I myself could not and would not work 30 days straight. I did it for 8 days and was ready to go off on anyone who said the wrong thing.

Comment

I've done it, more than once, but at times I would come in and tell particular members of my staff "I'm a b**ch today, so don't bother me unless it's an emergency".

Seriously, though, why isn't her supervisor handling this performance issue? If you aren't her supervisor, you really have no dog in this hunt.

Comment

I am her Supervisor and have spoke to her on these issues on three seperate times on Sunday. The issue has resolved itself about 3 hours ago. The Manager has pulled her off this contract for next month and she will be losing alot of hours and her schedule for the remaining part of the month has been reduced as well, Like I said on the original post, to literally work 30 days straight is insane and this woman actually worked 60 days without a day off.

Comment

Working...
                              X