X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuwaji
    started a topic Direct Deposit Nevada

Direct Deposit Nevada

Hello again. I have another question. I was wondering if an employer can deny you having direct deposit? About a year ago my employer started giving us direct deposit, and then a couple month ago took it away saying it was costing them too much money. (Though I think it was really because they didnt feel like getting all the paperwork together in time to make an early deposit.) If I want direct deposit can they legally deny me?

• Pattymd
    replied
    Sorry, but there i only one state I can think of off the top of my head that requires the employer provide paychecks at the place of work and it isn't Nevada.

Leave a comment:

• Kuwaji
    replied
    Just to post an update, they are now making us come in on our own time to pick up our checks. We work out on sites and whatnot, and they are now making us wait until we clock out before we can leave the construction site and drive more than 30 minutes usually to the office to pick up our checks, on our own time. I wish it weren't legal for them to be able to do this. Why do we have to waste our own time to receive the money that we are OWED for already working the past week?

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    Originally posted by Kuwaji View Post
    No, everyone is in the same boat as me. The nixing of direct deposit was for the whole company. I work in construction, so everyone has to go to the office every Friday to pick up their check, which is a real hassle. They tried to make us do it on our own time (after we got off work) but we fought to at least let us come and pick up our check while we were still on the clock.
    Dumb on the employer's part, but perfectly legal.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Originally posted by DAW View Post
    Or for decision makers to have low single digit IQs.
    One of my favorite lines is "the IQ of a file cabinet". Although I admit, I was the one who said it the first time (I think). It is not copyrighted, so you can use it if you wish.

Leave a comment:

• Kuwaji
    replied
    No, everyone is in the same boat as me. The nixing of direct deposit was for the whole company. I work in construction, so everyone has to go to the office every Friday to pick up their check, which is a real hassle. They tried to make us do it on our own time (after we got off work) but we fought to at least let us come and pick up our check while we were still on the clock.

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    Probably. I have never heard of any state making it mandatory for employers to offer direct deposit. What laws that do exist tend to go in the other direction (limiting mandatory direct deposit).

Having said that, I am unclear if you mean that you and only you is not allowed to go onto direct deposit, or all employees are no longer allowed to go on direct deposit. All employees no longer on direct deposit would be legal. You and only you no longer on direct deposit gets complicated. This would not be certainly illegal, but it would raise the question of why this is occuring. Discrimination per se (which this would be) is not certainly or even usually illegally, but discrimination at least raises the possibility that an illegal reason is behind the action, such as a Title VII violation.

Past that, speaking as someone who has done a lot of payroll (and accounts payable) over the years, your employer is arguably dumb. Their argument is nonsense. It takes a little work to get the direct deposit working the first time, but once it is working, everything else is cheaper. People who do payroll (or accounts payable) for a living hate checks. Checks are a lot more expensive to use the direct deposit, and less reliable (part of the expense). Most employers would make direct deposit mandatory for all employees if they were legally allowed to do so.

Of course, it is also not against the law for employers to be dumb. Or for decision makers to have low single digit IQs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X