This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can employer charge me for lost equipment? Nevada

I am in charge of a department that does research and development. Our company is based in Nevada and I am considered a salaried employee.

Occassionally, we need a unit to experiment on so we pull it from stock. The unit is checked out in my name. It happens quite frequently equipment disappears around our office primarily due to the owner walking through remembering that he needs a demo unit for a meeting and grabbing whatever he sees lying around without telling anybody. Typically, this equipment never makes it back and noone knows where it ended up. It is impossible in our environment to prevent this from happening.

Now, our company is telling me they will charge me for the missing equipment that disappeared. This represents several thousand dollars in costs. Are there any laws in Nevada that prohibit the employer from holding an employee financially responsible for missing equipment? Can you quote the specific law reference number. Thank you!

Charge you how? Deduct from your paycheck or sue you?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Can employer charge me for lost equipment? Nevada

Deduct from my paycheck. Although, if they sued me, is there a difference? Either way, employer is holding employee liable for missing equipment.

Comment

Well, if they sued you, they would be asking a judge to make a determination and you can defend yourself.

With a payroll deduction, such a deduction cannot be taken without your written authorization.

Q. What can be deducted from my wages?

A. An employer may not withhold, deduct, or divert any part of an employee's pay other than benefits and those items required by federal and state law, unless the employee specifically authorizes the deduction in writing.
        http://www.laborcommissioner.com/faqs.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X