This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostile Work Environment Nevada?

I am not sure exactly what defines a hostile work environment and when to pursue legal advice. I work for a private school. I have never had a negative review by a superior. There have been issues between the minister who oversees the church and school and the school. The teaching staff have not agreed with all of his decisions. As a result, he has been making public threats to remove anyone who does not agree with him. He is not a direct supervisor, but seems to believe that he can do away with anyone who does not 100% support everything he says. He refuses to meet with any of us to address these issues and is quite rude when he is faced with any of us. I understand that someone being mean does not constitute a hostile work place, but do threats about loss of employment? Should I have legal representation with me when I finally do force a confrontation?

No, threats about loss of employment do not constitute an HWE either.

Unless an employee is being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination/harassment under Title VII and related laws (race, religion, national origin etc.) they are not, legally, in an HWE.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I understand that someone being mean does not constitute a hostile work place, but do threats about loss of employment? No. A hostile work environment is one where there is a pervasive atmosphere of prohibited discrimination due to a protected characteristic; e.g. because of age, race, gender, national origin, etc. What you describe is an unpleasant workplace but nothing illegal is taking place.

Should I have legal representation with me when I finally do force a confrontation? Only if you want to pay for a lawyer to watch you get fired and walk with you to the parking lot. Unless the minister reports to you, you are in no position to force a confrontation. You and your co-workers can inform the senior school administrator about your concerns and the problems you're having with the minister. It's then up to him or her to handle the matter, take it up with the Church Board - or do nothing at all.

Comment

Working...
      X