X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working too many hours Nevada

Hi all,
    I am a full time college student and a part-time employee. Recently, my employer scheduled me to work almost 40 hrs/week even though I told them I couldn't work that many hours. Please advice me what I can do. My grades are falling. I'm stress all the time but I cant afford to quit my job. Can my employer have the right to work part-time employees that many hours?

All advices are appreciated.
    Last edited by whatcanIdo; 04-12-2009, 03:13 PM.

Your recourse is to find a job where you will not have to work so many hours. Your employer has no legal obligation to accomodate your school schedule. An employer may require any employee to work as many hours as he has need of them. Nothing in the law tells him how he can or cannot schedule his employees.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the advice. But with the economy right now, I don't think quitting my job is an option. I'm just tired and have no way out. I just thought that there might be some law to protect workers who are still in school. Can I get UI while I find a new job, a job that allows me work 20 hrs a week? I only have 6 months left from school

Comment

No, quitting your job under these circumstances would DEFINITELY not qualify you for benefits.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I understand the stress. Having said that, many individuals have gotten through college successfully while working full-time. I did.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X