This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Reimbursement and Job Title Nevada

Hello, I've got a couple of questions about actions from my current employer.

I work in the construction industry, and I work on various jobs. Now, I understand that driving to my first job and driving home from my last job is my responsibility, but if I have to drive to different jobs throughout my workday with my own personal vehicle, is it required by law for my company to reimburse me? Currently, they do not.

Also, when I first started working at the company I was working as a lower position, being basically a delivery person. i eventually got promoted to work out on jobs as a Fire Alarm Technician, but the person who took my place is going on vacation soon, and my company is trying to force me to fill in for him while he is gone, against my wishes. Keep in mind, this is no longer in my position, I was given a raise and everything to work out on construction now. They also have a document that is supposed to be filled out when one is going on vacation, wherein you are supposed to find someone to cover your shift for you. I never saw any document like this, and was told I MUST cover for him, even though I never signed nor agreed to it. If I refuse, can they legally fire me for not doing something is no longer in my job description?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Kuwaji; 07-17-2008, 04:44 PM.

The time you spend driving from site to site must be paid time, but there are only two states where the law requires that you be paid mileage or reimbursements and Nevada is neither of them.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks, cbg. Does anyone have an answer for my second question? I've been reading other threads, and some of them are very informative about other labor laws.

Comment

Unless you have a bona fide contract that specifies what work you may or may not be required to do, the employer can assign you to any duties that are not illegal.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Sorry, I missed the second question. Yes, you can legally be fired for refusing to do work outside your job description.

Your employer may require you to take on any tasks he wants you to take on unless they are illegal or unsafe by OSHA standard, whether they fall under your job description or not. It is not even required by law that you HAVE a job description.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I see. Thank you for clarifying. I wish labor laws were a bit more helpful, but what can you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuwaji View Post
              but if I have to drive to different jobs throughout my workday with my own personal vehicle, is it required by law for my company to reimburse me? Currently, they do not.
              As cbg said this time must be paid. However keep track of the milage involved as it may be a tax deduction for you under unreimbursed expenses. One of the tax folks may be able to elaborate on the minimum % required.
              "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                It is not even required by law that you HAVE a job description.
                Agreed. Also, I have never worked for a company for whom the last line of every job description did not say "Other duties as required".
                "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by Eng&SafetyMGR View Post
                  As cbg said this time must be paid. However keep track of the milage involved as it may be a tax deduction for you under unreimbursed expenses. One of the tax folks may be able to elaborate on the minimum % required.
                  Unreimbursed business expenses must exceed 2% of AGI to be deductible.
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X