This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit my job, what do I have to do to get unemployment? Nevada

Now I know from that title I just labeled myself with I've already put a bad taste in some readers mouth, but please try and hold judgment until you hear my whole story.
    STRESS! I just couldn't take it anymore. When I started my job as a runner/admin assistant a year and one month ago I was putting 200 miles a week on my car (annoying, but doable) and spending most of my time in the office working. But it got to the point where I was hardly ever in the office because I was putting 500 miles a week on my car. Driving in stop and go Vegas traffic all day. No admin work and no way to advance in the company from behind the wheel. I'm a good driver (I know who doesn't think they are) but I cant count the number of times I felt my life was in danger on Vegas roads. About a month ago the company laid off over half of the admin staff due to cut backs. Yet very little work that needed to be done was lost. Everyone was told they were going to have to pick up the slack and that was the final straw for me. I stuck I out as long as I could but seriously felt like I was going to loose it if I had to work overtime in the office and continue to do 500 miles a week in the heat wave about to hit us so I gave notice.

While I search for another job, (which shouldn't be hard to find here in Vegas) what do I have to do to get unemployment?

Go to the DOL and file or check and see if you can do so on line or over the phone. Voluntary resignation may disqualify you for benefits but you won't know for certain unless you file a claim. There is no fees involved in filing so even if you are denied the only investment you have is a bit of time.
    Information posted by me is my "OPINION". I do NOT give legal advice to anyone as like most here I am NOT an attorney.

Comment

I've filed before so i know the process, it can be done totally online, but I also know without a doubt ill be denied seeing as I quit. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my question but I thought someone here might be able to read between the lines. Bottom line what CAN I say to quality for unemployment? What reasons can I sight? I've been told unsafe working conditions will qualify you. Would driving THAT much in horendious traffic count? What if I had my car repossed, or it broke down and I had to quit? I gave nothing in writing to my former employer so it'll just be my words against theres but what words should I use exactly?

Comment

Tell the truth. Do not try to embellish or manipulate the facts. Thats your best way to do this.

The hearing officer has hear thousands of cases and knows what qualifies and what doesnt.
        Dont try to second guess. You are best off just telling the simple truth. In most states, UI tends to favor employees.
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Morgana View Post
          Tell the truth. Do not try to embellish or manipulate the facts. That's your best way to do this.

The hearing officer has hear thousands of cases and knows what qualifies and what doesn't.
          Don't try to second guess. You are best off just telling the simple truth. In most states, UI tends to favor employees.

hmmm,... very true fact about them hearing it all I'm sure, thanks.
          I really would like to know what would quality first though before I make my claim. Can anyone help me with that? I cant find such a list of reasons on there site.

Comment

I'm reading between the lines and it seems to me you are looking for someone to give you a reason that relates to your situation that would qualify you for unemployment. Just tell the truth and the hearing officer will make that decision. Also, an officer is not going to award unemployment for unsafe working conditions for driving based on "what if" scenarios.
            Last edited by Pontiac22; 05-19-2008, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontiac22 View Post
              I'm reading between the lines and it seems to me you are looking for someone to give you a reason that relates to your situation that would qualify you for unemployment. Just tell the truth and the judge will make that decision. Also, a judge is not going to award unemployment for unsafe working conditions for driving based on "what if" scenarios.
              more good info, thank you... what about if I took a college course or something to advance my career, would that qualify ya?

Comment

Just curious, when you gave your past employer a notice, what was the reason?

It will be up to the hearing officer, but I highly doubt they will award UI to take a class.

You stated before you quit your job specifically because of the "stress" of the work load and driving. You are looking for other routes to try to qualify for unemployement. For the last time, tell the truth and move on with looking for another job.

Comment

Quit my job, what do I have to do to get unemployment?

You have to have left your job for a reason that qualifies you. You can't retroactively make your reason qualifying if it is not. There is nothing you can do or say now that will make a non-qualifying reason a qualifying one. Either it was or it wasn't - it's not subject to amendment now.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
                  X