This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employers Keeping You Inside Off The Clock Nevada

I don't close very often where I work, but every time that I do I go to clock out and I have to wait to be let out. They do this because they have somebody out in the parking lot to make sure nobody is out there but I've waited upwards of 15 minutes off the clock waiting to be let out. I was threatened with termination when I said I was just going to go out the door and they could turn the alarm off. Another night I was threatened with a write up when I asked if I could write down on the exception log what time I was let out so I would get paid for it. There are 3 times that people get off after closing - 9, 9:30, and 10. The managers know this but still make us wait at least five minutes but normally 10 to 15 sometimes 20 - 30 minutes while off the clock. I was wondering whether it is legal for them to keep us there while off the clock and telling us we will get fired if we leave. I thought that Wal-Mart (not who I work for) is currently or recently was sued over this same issue. They have been making a big deal at work about taking a lunch before 5 hours which they say is a federal law, and if you point out that it is not they threaten you with discipline. So I brought up that if they are making that a big deal that they need to make letting people out when they are off a big deal and was threatened with write-ups. This doesn't seem right to me and I'm fairly certain that this is against the law, but I wanted to verify and couldn't find any info specific to Nevada. Thanks for any help.

You have two unrelated issues.
    - If your employer tells you to stay, to go, or to take any action not illegal, you have to do what they say or risk termination.
    - What you describe on being required to say sounds like legally "time worked" which must be paid, assuming that you are Non-Exempt. If you file a wage claim, you will probably win. I will not say certainly, because DOL cares for no one's opinion but their own.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
    X