This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnaround between shifts- Nevada

Does anyone no the minimum amount of hours an employer can MAKE you do a turnaround & come back to work in? My boss is saying that they can make us come back in 8 hours! I don't see how this can be right or leagal! I know when I did scheduling at another job, the union employees could not come back any sooner than 14 hours. I am not union..........but still.......

Thanks!

oopie!
    Last edited by oopie; 01-31-2008, 08:23 PM.

This question gets asked a lot. There is no general federal rule. There is some job specific exceptions like airline pilot or long haul trucker. In a union environment there could be a CBA with restrictions although the only time I worked for a company with a union (Steelworkers in the early 1980s) there was no such restrictions. States could in theory have such a restriction, but NV is not my state, and I have idea what rules (if any) they have. If I had to guess, I would guess no. But some other responder should have a better feel for NV then I do.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The state of Nevada under their occupations with a maximum hrs. are underground mines, railroad employees, & motor carriers (intrastate drivers).

Of course, airline pilots & long haul truckers do apply as DAW noted.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
        The state of Nevada under their occupations with a maximum hrs. are underground mines, railroad employees, & motor carriers (intrastate drivers).

Of course, airline pilots & long haul truckers do apply as DAW noted.
        I'm not quite sure what you mean.

There HAS to be some kind of law! How can it be possoble for an employer to demand you come back to work within 8 hours? The norm for sleep is 8 hours! I cannot see this being possible. A friend has a lawyer retained, & is going to call him to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by oopie View Post
          I'm not quite sure what you mean.

There HAS to be some kind of law! How can it be possoble for an employer to demand you come back to work within 8 hours? The norm for sleep is 8 hours! I cannot see this being possible. A friend has a lawyer retained, & is going to call him to find out.
          What part do you not understand?

No, there DOESN'T have to be some kind of law and there isn't. Legislation is made when legislators are lobbied to introduce a law and it eventually gets passed or it doesn't. Tell us how much you paid the lawyer to tell you the same thing we have.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            Tell us how much you paid the lawyer to tell you the same thing we have.
            And if you can find a lawyer who says otherwise, ask for the reference to the actual law or court decision that says so. If the lawyer is correct, you should be able to Google the reference and confirm the answer yourself. You can find lawyers who will strongly claim that Earth is Flat, or pretty much anything else, as long as their bills are paid.
            Last edited by DAW; 02-01-2008, 10:43 AM.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
              What part do you not understand?

No, there DOESN'T have to be some kind of law and there isn't. Legislation is made when legislators are lobbied to introduce a law and it eventually gets passed or it doesn't. Tell us how much you paid the lawyer to tell you the same thing we have.
              I am not paying anybody anything! Are there not labor laws? Do we, as emplyees, have any rights at all? If I were to return to work in this 8 hour window, which would give me about 2-3 hours sleep, & fall asleep at the wheel & crash, you telling me I would have no case in holding the employer liable? BS!! Going by what you are telling me, my employer can make me stay indefinately, right?

Comment

No, I'm not necessarily going to tell you that, because it's not impossible that it could happen (it would be an uphill fight though). But, that was not your original question. Arguing with us about the logic of not having a law isn't going to help. The fact is that there isn't one. Deal with it as you wish.
                Last edited by Pattymd; 02-01-2008, 08:42 AM.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by oopie View Post
                  I am not paying anybody anything! Are there not labor laws? Do we, as emplyees, have any rights at all? If I were to return to work in this 8 hour window, which would give me about 2-3 hours sleep, & fall asleep at the wheel & crash, you telling me I would have no case in holding the employer liable? BS!! Going by what you are telling me, my employer can make me stay indefinately, right?
                  Right.

Unless you are in a specific job set (see above), your boss could, theoretically, work you 24/7/365.

It isn't smart. It isn't very good for employee retention, but it isn't illegal.

Oh, and your boss is not responsible for how you get to work. You, as a responsible adult, are responsible for declaring yourself safe to drive an automobile.
                  Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

I am not trying argue with you guys! Don't get the wrong impression. I am just so pissed off that something like this could be a reality!, & you are right! My friends lawyer said the same, it is legal in Nevada. Pretty crazy!

Anyway, thanks for the help & the dissappointing truth!

What can be done about this, or how would one go about TRYING to do something about this?

Comment

Working...
                    X