This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about insurance/vacation Nevada

I recently discovered a fax at my office that stated that my company would no longer be paying the premium for my child's health insurance. I have been employed with the company for almost 8 years, with 6 years of them paying for my child's insurance. They have not informed me in writing, via email, or any other way that this was going into effect. I simply found a fax on the floor and it stated that we were now going to have to pay for our dependants insurance out of our paycheck. Doesn't an employer have some obligation to inform the staff of these changes via a letter or email or a verbal notice? How much notice must be given before they can change the policy? Also, regarding vacation pay...although an employer does not have to provide paid vacation, can they change the policy regarding paid vacation without notice? 11 days before my paid vacation I was told by a manager that my employer would no longer be paying for vacation time. Is this allowed? Can an employer stop you from taking vacation time altogether or force you to cover your own shifts?

Just because you found a fax that was not addressed to you does not mean that what it states is going to happen immediately, or at all, or that it applies to you personally. Until you either receive notice of the change or see a change in your paycheck deductions, don't worry about it.

An employer MAY make changes to their vacation policy. Barring a bona fide contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, no employer is required by law to provide paid vacation. Or even unpaid. I don't know off the top of my head, and I don't have time to check just now, whether or not NV is one of the few states where unused vacation is considered wages. IF it is, then they would eventually have to pay you for the unused time you have accrued up to the point of the change; they would not be obligated to provide any further paid time. No employer in any state is obligated to allow you to take vacation time off except at their convenience. No law prohibits them from requiring you to find coverage for your shift.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Nevada has no law protecting your vacation policies or rights, and they may be changed at anytime. Furthermore, Nevada does not consider vacation earned as compensable time.

In regards to your question about your dependent benefits, this too can be changed without notice, provided they are not making changes to your benefits. Even then, the state only requires that the employer pay a minimum of 50% of your personal benefits, they are not required to cover anything for any dependents.

Good Luck.

Comment

Since the OP posted this question a year ago, he's probably resolved the issue by how.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X