This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Policy Change

We are looking at changing our employee manual to reflect a new vacation policy and sick time policy. What are the legalities as far as doing this? I want to be fair to everyone, but am I obligated to give the employees ALL vacation or sick time per the old policy or can I give just what has been accrued to date prior to the effective date of the new policy?

Originally posted by ateno750 View Post
    We are looking at changing our employee manual to reflect a new vacation policy and sick time policy. What are the legalities as far as doing this? I want to be fair to everyone, but am I obligated to give the employees ALL vacation or sick time per the old policy or can I give just what has been accrued to date prior to the effective date of the new policy?
    What do you mean by all? Only give them what they have "earned" YTD.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Clarification

To clarify, what I meant was do I need to calculate the 6.67 hours per month accrual for each employee up until the effective date of the new policy or am I obligated to provide the 80 hours earned for the whole year?

Comment

Originally posted by ateno750 View Post
        To clarify, what I meant was do I need to calculate the 6.67 hours per month accrual for each employee up until the effective date of the new policy or am I obligated to provide the 80 hours earned for the whole year?
        No, you are not obligated to provide an entire's year worth of time, unless you are planning on changing to the new policy at the beginning of next year.
        Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

There is no legal requirement that you provide vacation or sick pay.

Do what you wish.

Try to be fair, else your employees will be more ticked off than they will based upon this change (which, I take it, some won't like).
          Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Working...
          X