This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting around Nevada

I work as a bartender and sometimes work a split shift where I start work at 10 a.m., off from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., and then scheduled until 8 p.m. When I come back at 4 p.m., my manager tells me to wait around before starting work because business is slow. Then around 6 he tells me he doesn't need me and that I can go home.

Is he required to pay me while I am waiting around from 4 p.m. to 6 / 7 p.m.?

Thanks,

If you came back at 4 PM and he sent you home, no pay would be due you, even though it would be inconvenient to take a two hour break before learning you would not be needed more.

If you must be back at 4 PM, the time clock starts ticking from the time you must be back until you are sent away.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

I agree with ScottB.

The answer would be different if this were an on-call situation where you were permitted to do as you choose until you are called to work.

Comment

Thanks for your reply

Can you tell me where to look for the regulation regarding this so I can use it as a reference?

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
        If you came back at 4 PM and he sent you home, no pay would be due you, even though it would be inconvenient to take a two hour break before learning you would not be needed more.

If you must be back at 4 PM, the time clock starts ticking from the time you must be back until you are sent away.

Comment

Sure.

What you describe is called "engage to wait". Follow this link for a direct cite from US DOL: http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.17.htm.

Comment

Working...
          X