This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Agency wont let me go! Nevada

I've been working for a temp agency for a little over a year now. I've had continuous assignments with several of their clients (most lasting about 90 days).

On my current assignment, the client has offered me a permanent postion and wanted me to start right away. The temp agency has said the client "can't" hire me until I complete 720 hours. (I've already given the temp agancy a year! but only 340 hours with this particular client).

The temp agency offered to "let me go" if the client bought out my contract (unknown amount) but the client declined and said we'd have to "wait it out".

I realize it's unethical, but what's to prevent me me from just QUITTING the temp agency and coming to work for the client?

I did not sign anything with the temp agency agreeing to work 720 hours with any client before going permanent.
    Last edited by vegasfemme; 04-18-2007, 10:33 PM.

Originally posted by vegasfemme View Post
    I've been working for a temp agancy for a little over a year now. I've had continuous assignments with several of their clients (most lasting about 90 days).

On my current assignment, the client has offered me a permanent postion and wanted me to start right away. The temp agency has said the client "can't" hire me until I complete 720 hours. (I've already given the temp agancy a year! but only 340 hours with this particular client).

The temp agancy offered to "let me go" if the client bought out my contract (unknown amount) but the client declined and said we'd have to "wait it out".

I realize it's unethical, but what's to prevent me me from just QUITTING the temp agancy and coming to work for the client?

I did not sign anything with the temp agency agreeing to work 720 hours with any client before going permanent.
    You didn't sign an employment contract? The employer did. They can be sued for violating the contract that they signed with the temp agency.

But, nothing is preventing you from doing that. Understand that when the company is faced with a lawsuit, they just might let you go to avoid it.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by vegasfemme View Post
      I realize it's unethical, but what's to prevent me me from just QUITTING the temp agancy and coming to work for the client?
      The client won't hire you or, if it does, it risks being sued.

This is quite common in the temp business. It is called "conversion" and allows client companies to pay a conversion fee if they want to hire a temp before meeting some target, such as weeks of work or hours of work.

Look at it this way -- if such provisions did not exist, a company, looking for a regular person on its staff, could avoid most of the costs of hiring by just having a temp work for a day and then hiring the temp.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much. I feel so betrayed, and do not understand what could have happened. Suddenly everything just went array. Do you think maybe the temp agency could have been the one to pull the plug?

After 3 months and a firm job offer, I got the call from the temp agency that I was not needed back.

My boss loved me and we had a great professional relationship. She wanted to buy out my contract, didn't get approval from the big boss and so the last conversation we had was that we would just wait it out (720 hours we both later found out when we first thought it was just 90 days, which I was only a week away from) then the day she has a lunch with the temp agency, I got the call my assignment had ended.

And the client will not talk to me which I assume is because of some contractual agreement, even though morally I feel she owes me.

Am I still to trust the agency?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

It is not even remotely uncommon for an agency and their clients to have an agreement that the client will not hire a "temp" until they have worked for x amount of time. The client evidently tried to violate it by hiring you before you had worked the amount of time stated in the agreement.

The temp agency offered a compromise: they would agree to letting them hire you before the time stated in the contract, if the client would pay for your time that the agency would be losing by your direct hire. The client refused.

Evidently the client decided that maintaining good relations with the temp agency was more important to them than hiring you. I do not in any way mean this negatively towards you, but that was probably a good business decision overall.

Frankly, I see no reason to stop trusting the temp agency. By your own description of the facts, the only one I see who is behaving in an untrustworthy manner is the client.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you so much. That completly puts things in perspective. This client has had a long-standing relationship with the temp agency and (incidently) still has another temp working for them in my department (another they indicated an interest in hiring).

Agreed, it was likely a good business decision for the client in order to maintain good relations. Unfortunately, not so great for the employee hoping to make a home.

Thank you for your comments.

Comment

Working...
            X