This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary?? Nevada

is it true that u have to have a supervisory position to be on salary pay? when i started working for the company i was on hourly 5 days a week. after my probation ended they changed me to a salary paid worker and i now work 46 hours a week. Im just a CSR and i dont think im being paid fairly. what is the minimum salary rate in the state of nevada? i feel like im being underpayed but i dont know if i should speak up about it. i need some backgruond info. can anyone help??
    Last edited by SinCity86; 04-04-2007, 11:09 AM.

Not all exempt employees MUST supervise others, but

I would be surprised if a CSR ever could be exempt.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

No, it is not true that you have to be a supervisor to be paid on salary. However, that also doesn't mean that just anyone can be paid on a straight salaried basis either. The majority of CSR's would not qualify for exempt status (only those who do can be paid on straight salary with very rare exceptions - non-exempt employees can be paid on a salaried basis but only if they also get overtime).

At the Federal level, the minimum salary to qualify as exempt is $455 per week. If you make less than that, you are non-exempt by definition whether your job duties qualify you to be exempt or not. I can't find anything on the NV website to suggest that they have a higher standard.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

well, im making under $455 and its like im working an extra day for free. what should happen next?

Comment

Originally posted by SinCity86 View Post
          well, im making under $455
          While there are exempt employees that can make less than that (outside sales reps or really bad lawyers come to mind), you don't qualify to be exempt.

You CAN be paid a salary, but your pay will increase when you work more and be less when you don't put in as many hours.

Let's say that your salary covers the 46 hours and that is what you agreed to work for.

If you work 47, you should be paid more than your usual salary.

If you work 45, less.

If you are not being paid correctly, complain first to your boss, then HR, then the state Department of Labor or equivalent.
          Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
            X