This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office changing hands Nevada

I work in the medical field and my office is being sold to another Doctor as of Aug 1. The guy is a jerk and we are all worried that he will clean house, not to mention changing the office hours to hours he knows the girls can't work do to child care. Since NV is a right to work state if we are laid off, or hours are not compatable , would he still be the one required to pay our unemployment? Or would it fall on the people who sold the office?

Originally posted by vitellia1977
    I work in the medical field and my office is being sold to another Doctor as of Aug 1. The guy is a jerk and we are all worried that he will clean house, not to mention changing the office hours to hours he knows the girls can't work do to child care. Since NV is a right to work state if we are laid off, or hours are not compatable , would he still be the one required to pay our unemployment? Or would it fall on the people who sold the office?
    First it is an at-will state. Right to work refers to unions. Any unemployment claims will be determined by the state who recieves benefits and who would be liable for paying the claims depends on many quarters you worked for that employer. More than likely it would be the previous employer.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Right to work has nothing to do with this situation. Right to work means you can't be forced to join a union to get work. You are talking about employment at will, which is a different thing.

Neither he nor the old owner pays your unemployment; the state does. Whose account it would be charged against would be determined by the terms of the sale. While it is likely that it would be the new owner, that is not carved in stone and could be changed by the terms of the agreement.

BTW, while I understand your concern and would share it in your shoes, the fact remains that if he wants to clean house and bring in all new people, he can do so legally.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

When the practice is sold, the buyer gets the reserves in the the practice's trust fund or inherits any defict that may exist. There are many tax-related procedures available to the buyer concerning the fund and its applicable UI rate. For instance, if the seller's rate is better, then the buyer can transfer it to his and vice versa or he can keep them separate.

Nevertheless, if the buyer separates you, then he/his practice will be liable because he will not only be the separating employer, but he will have inherited the UI fund attributable to the seller/former employee. Either way, one of his funds gets charged.

But a question, why would you care whose account is charged if the practice is sold?

Comment

Working...
        X