This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpaid breaks....

I have read in a couple different threads that the only required break for a full time employee in Nebraska is a half hour unpaid lunch break. So even though by law it is not required, in the company handbook, it says something to the effect of "all employees are allowed one paid break in the first half of their shift, and one in the second half, the length to be determined by the management." My boss had told me when I was first hired that I would recieve three breaks a day, one being the half hour lunch, but as I began asking about it, he said that I will only get the lunch break. I know this seems kind of trivial, but it gets so stuffy in that building, I just want to step outside sometimes. Anyway, I guess the question is, do I have a right to "demand" (for lack of a better word) my breaks?

Only if the handbook is written in such a way as to have become a contract. An employer is free to change their policies at any time.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X