This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubletime rule negates my overtime

Our company used to pay doubletime on Sunday, after it was abused(people would skip Saturday), they changed the policy to state that you earn doubletime on your seventh consecutive day worked.
    Now recently we ran into a problem, several people had a day off one week, worked the weekend, then worked long days the following week.
    For example, I had a Monday off, worked the rest of the week including the weekend. Come Monday, my seventh day, I sold the doubletime for the ten hours I worked.
    Then we worked ten hours a day through Friday. So all together that week I worked fifty hours, but did not get time and a half for anything over forty.
    I was told that because I had sold doubletime on Monday, that day does not count toward my forty hours worked. So I would have to worked over fifty hours to get overtime.

Come Monday, my seventh day, I sold the doubletime for the ten hours I worked. "Sold" the doubletime? I have no idea what you mean.

Comment

And nothing in either Federal or Nebraska law requires that you EVER be paid doubletime. Time and a half, yes; that is required for anything over 40 hours in a week. But doubletime is a gift from your employer.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

We enter our time worked on the computer system, it is entered against the project we are working on that day, so we tend to say "selling our time" or "time sold".
        I understand there is no requirement for doubletime, and that's why I question this, I still worked over 40 hours that week, the doubletime was a result of the previous week. The people that did not miss a day during the previous week were eligible for doubletime on Sunday, so they did get OT the next week.

Comment

doubletime

The law in Nebraska (which follows federal law) states that you must be paid time and half for any hours worked over 40 in a given pay week. You were paid at a rate GREATER than time and a half during that week. The fact that the reason you were eligible for doubletime because of time worked in the previous week is irrelevant. Call it a timing issue for everyone that didn't take Monday off, you were still paid MORE than you were legally entitled to.

Comment

Taylor, did you notice that this thread is from last August? I really don't think the poster is looking for new input any longer. We ask people not to respond to dormant threads unless you either have a question about the law discussed in the thread, or are the original poster coming back with an update.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
            X