This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel employee forced to run errands Nebraska

I'm a night auditor at a hotel in Nebraska. Recently, the company that we order our breakfast food from raised the price of milk to over $5.00/gallon. Because this is almost double the price of the grocery store my manager decided to stop buying from the food delivery company, but he is making the desk clerks go to buy the milk. Our hotel only single staffs each shift so the only opportunity to go to the store is during a shift change. My manager is there during the afternoon and could get some but he never does.

We have to use our own vehicles because the hotel does not have one. We are not being reimbursed in anyway for these trips to the store other than our normal hourly wage.

Two of our clerks don't have vehicles and are not able to go on these errands, and thus I usually have to go. Come fall my school schedule won't allow me to do this so are there any laws about this that would back me up if I refuse to go?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading.

That wasn't a long post.

As long as you are paid for the time, it is perfectly legal for the employer to add this to your list of duties. Only two states require reimbursement of mileage for the business use of your personal vehicle and Nebraska is neither one of them.

Hopefully your employer will find another way to get this done when you go back to school. Or, pick it up on your way in to work and stash it in the fridge. How long could such a stop actually take? 10-15 minutes max (for which it appears the employer would pay you).
    Last edited by Pattymd; 06-07-2009, 07:10 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

BTW, I worked as a night auditor for a small hotel once and I ran this kind of errand frequently. It's not uheard of.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Come fall my school schedule won't allow me to do this so are there any laws about this that would back me up if I refuse to go? Let your employer know that this is going to be a problem in the fall so they have time to figure out a new plan. I'd imagine they'll appreciate the advance notice.

Comment

Working...
        X