This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use it or lose it vacton time/boss won't give the days off Nebraska

I believe my state has a use it or lose it law for vaction time. However my boss won't give me the requested days off. i have 5 left and he was only going to give me 3, with the agreement that i would work the 31st. now he wants me to work the 28th as well. i feel like saying see you next year and taking my days. any help or input would be helpful Thanks

There is no state where an employer is required to make the vacation policy use it or lose it. Nebraska permits use it or lose it policies, but does not require them.

There is also no state where an employer is required by law to allow you to take vacation whenever you want.

If you do as you suggest, say, see you next year, and take your days, your employer can LEGALLY fire you, and I would be surprised if he did not.

Sorry, but vacation is not a right.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Like cbg says, the company is not required to have a use it or lose it policy.

If you are up against the deadline and the boss will not/cannot allow you the time off, ask them to make an exception to their policy and let you carry over your time to the next year.

If you have been unable (for work reasons) to take leave before now, that is not an unreasonable request.
      Last edited by ScottB; 12-20-2007, 01:12 PM.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Nebraska has no laws that prohibit "use it or lose it" policies & the policies are simply a cap on the amt. of benefit which may be accrued.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X