This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Pa

I was working for a contractor to a major transportation company. The company chose not to renew the contract. I had 7 days of vacation due to me when I left. My contractor is trying to tell me that she has no obligaton to pay me for these days of vacation, as she is unable to bill the company since I no longer work there. The contractor is saying I had to "use it or lose it" before I left. Is there a law mandating that an employee has to use accrued vacation time or forfeit it?
    Last edited by justthefacts; 06-12-2006, 07:27 AM.

I believe that PA has no law requiring the payout of unused vacation time upon termination. It simply requires that the employer follow its own policy consistently. If your employer's policy is not to pay it out, then you're not entitled to be paid for them.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

This is in the Nebraska forum but seems to reference PA.

There is no law in either state mandating that you must lose the vacation time if you don't use it. There is no law in either state mandating that you be paid it, either. In both states, the law is only that the employer follow their policy. If there is a company policy that you receive the vacation, then you must receive it. If there is a company policy that you not receive it, then you needn't receive it. If there is no written policy either way, it's up to the employer.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Ack! Where did I get PA from. Sorry about that.
        I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Easy enough - The thread is headed, Vacation Pa.

Which could be a typo for Pay, or could reference Pennsylvania.

Wouldn't be the first thread in the wrong state forum.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X