This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contractual Executive Employee salary decrease Montana

I have a signed contract that stipulates my salary as a chef for a private company (LLC) with an increase that was supposed to be paid based on an increase in business. Not only did the increase not happen (4 1/2 months later), they are now telling me I must take a 30% cut in salary or they will close the business, putting all my co-workers out of a job. Is this legal?

We cannot comment on the terms, legality or enforceabilty of a contract we have not read. Please show your contract to a Montana attorney.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Decrease in Salary

Is it legal to decrease the salary of an exempt employee under any circumstances? My understanding is that it is legal to demote a salaried employee but you cannot adjust their salary in the negative under any circumstance.

Comment

No, that's not correct. If an exempt employee is demoted there is no legal obligation to leave their pay at the rate for the higher level job. Likewise an exempt employee's salary can be permanently reduced. What cannot happen is for their salary to be modified from week to week based on the number of hours worked that week.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X