• Show
Clear All

Officer Shoves, Arrests Pregnant Woman Over Loud Call

"Steve Sobol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    Rob wrote:
    everyone shows differently.
    I know.
    that the baby was actually a little ahead of schedule as far as size goes. on the other hand,
    Well, good luck anyhow. Hope your baby comes out as cute as ours is. (not bloody likely though) http://stevesobol.com/itsagirl/ but I need to post new pictures....
    eh, they all look the same to me...ugly. i have no reason to expect ours
    will be any different .
    -- JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/ Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected] PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED) Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Comment

"tjab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      In article <[email protected]>, V <[email protected]> wrote:
      "tjab" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
      In article <[email protected]>, V <[email protected]> wrote: > >"tjab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      >> In article <[email protected]>, >> V <[email protected]> wrote: >> > >> >"tjab" <[email protected]> wrote in message >news:[email protected] >> >> In article <[email protected]>, >> >> Steve Sobol <[email protected]> wrote: >> >> >Draco wrote: >> >> > >> >> >> He tried to cuff her calmy, she chucked a hissy fit. >> >> > >> >> >Just so I understand: was she simply yelling, or did she get
      physical?
      >> >> >> >> And whatever the answer, whose word are you taking for it? >> >> >> >Do you trust a reporter, a police report, or oh....the video running >> >in
      the
      >> >car? >> >> Why do you ask? >> > >Why is it that you are asking, young grasshopper?
      Whose word are you taking?V
      Because I'm not aware that any reporter witnessed the incident, nor of any video from a car. Are you?
      No. I have not seen it with my own eyes, so I simply do not know whoactuallywas the bad guy here, if there is one. Yet, studying criminals, and beingaround them, observing behavior, they usually like to fight thepolice......::shrug:: an issue they all seem to have in common.
      1) Begs the question. 2) Not true.
      Perhaps it isthe crack cocaine or just a nasty case of hormones in a pregnant lady. Iwasmean to a cashier the day before I went into labor with my son. I did notswing at her, though.I wanted to so bad since she was so **** slo---------w.anyway....It does not seem that you are interested either, by the reply of ,..."And whatever the answer...."SO what is your theory?
      My theory is that a lot of people here are expressing opinions without listening to the woman's side of the story. And that talking loud on a cell phone is Constitutionally protected free expression. It may be rude, but it's not a legitimate police matter.
      Technically I agree with you, but I suppose it could be interpreted
      to be disturbing the peace if she has gone beyond talking and into
      screaming and shouting (with or without obscenities).

- The devils advocate

Comment

Rob wrote:
        "Steve Sobol" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
        Rob wrote:
        everyone shows differently.
        I know.
        that the baby was actually a little ahead of schedule as far as size goes. on the other hand,
        Well, good luck anyhow. Hope your baby comes out as cute as ours is. (not bloody likely though) http://stevesobol.com/itsagirl/ but I need to post new pictures....
        eh, they all look the same to me...ugly. i have no reason to expect ours will be any different .
        fwiw my first which I was expecting to be ugly -- was beautiful, very
        pale with just little pink lips and blue eyes (when open). Now the 2nd,
        I expected to be just as lovely was the stereotypical Winston Churchill
        lookalike baby -- fortunately he was a boy so it didn't matter so much
        and he grew up as handsome as his sister stayed lovely
        yD
        -- JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/ Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected] PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED) Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Comment

On 4 Oct 2004 13:24:20 -0400, [email protected] (tjab) wrote:
          In article <[email protected]>,V <[email protected]> wrote:
          "tjab" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
          In article <[email protected]>, V <[email protected]> wrote: > >"tjab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
          >> In article <[email protected]>, >> V <[email protected]> wrote: >> > >> >"tjab" <[email protected]> wrote in message >news:[email protected] >> >> In article <[email protected]>, >> >> Steve Sobol <[email protected]> wrote: >> >> >Draco wrote: >> >> > >> >> >> He tried to cuff her calmy, she chucked a hissy fit. >> >> > >> >> >Just so I understand: was she simply yelling, or did she get
          physical?
          >> >> >> >> And whatever the answer, whose word are you taking for it? >> >> >> >Do you trust a reporter, a police report, or oh....the video running in
          the
          >> >car? >> >> Why do you ask? >> > >Why is it that you are asking, young grasshopper?
          Because I'm not aware that any reporter witnessed the incident, nor of any video from a car. Are you?
          No. I have not seen it with my own eyes, so I simply do not know who actuallywas the bad guy here, if there is one. Yet, studying criminals, and beingaround them, observing behavior, they usually like to fight thepolice......::shrug:: an issue they all seem to have in common.
          1) Begs the question.2) Not true.
          Perhaps it isthe crack cocaine or just a nasty case of hormones in a pregnant lady. I wasmean to a cashier the day before I went into labor with my son. I did notswing at her, though.I wanted to so bad since she was so **** slo---------w.anyway....It does not seem that you are interested either, by the reply of ,..."And whatever the answer...."SO what is your theory?
          My theory is that a lot of people here are expressing opinions withoutlistening to the woman's side of the story. And that talking loud on acell phone is Constitutionally protected free expression. It may berude, but it's not a legitimate police matter.

Depends where the talking loudly on a cell phone.

Comment

In Message-ID:<[email protected]> posted on Mon, 04 Oct 2004
            13:53:54 -0400, yaffaDina wrote: Begin
            I expected to be just as lovely was the stereotypical Winston Churchilllookalike baby
            Or Alfred Hitch**** <g>

--

Bart

Comment

On 4 Oct 2004 13:24:20 -0400, [email protected] (tjab) wrote:
              My theory is that a lot of people here are expressing opinions withoutlistening to the woman's side of the story. And that talking loud on acell phone is Constitutionally protected free expression. It may berude, but it's not a legitimate police matter.
              If he's enforcing metro rules whether you think it's "constitutionally
              protected" is up for debate. If you want to go on someone's property
              and not obey their rules you'll sometimes pay the price of your
              decision to not defer to their rules.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

In Message-ID:<[email protected]> posted on 4 Oct 2004
                13:24:20 -0400, tjab wrote: Begin
                Curious;
                If there's some decibel level or grammatical content when spoken in
                public that could ever be construed as a disturbance, how does having an
                electronic device placed next to ones ear provide dispensation?

--

Bart

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, V <vbi[email protected]> wrote:
                  In article <[email protected]>, V <[email protected]> wrote: > >"tjab" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
                  physical?
                  >> >> >> >> And whatever the answer, whose word are you taking for it? >> >> >> >Do you trust a reporter, a police report, or oh....the video running
                  in
                  the
                  No. I have not seen it with my own eyes, so I simply do not know who
                  actually
                  was the bad guy here, if there is one. Yet, studying criminals, and beingaround them, observing behavior, they usually like to fight thepolice......::shrug:: an issue they all seem to have in common. 1) Begs the question. 2) Not true.
                  Perhaps it isthe crack cocaine or just a nasty case of hormones in a pregnant lady. I
                  was
                  mean to a cashier the day before I went into labor with my son. I did notswing at her, though.I wanted to so bad since she was so **** slo---------w.anyway....It does not seem that you are interested either, by the reply of ,..."And whatever the answer...."SO what is your theory? My theory is that a lot of people here are expressing opinions without listening to the woman's side of the story. And that talking loud on a cell phone is Constitutionally protected free expression. It may be rude, but it's not a legitimate police matter.
                  I am a woman! If she was talking in a state where they require hands free, it
                  is illegal, if she was not using a hands free.
                  There are noise ordiances isn't there? Freedom to drive your neighbors insane
                  with loud music? Nope. That, poster, is against the law.
                  Our freedoms do not allow us to be obnoxious. They should be used as
                  respectfully as possible.
                  V
                  V

Comment

.. Yet, studying criminals, and being
                    around them, observing behavior, they usually like to fight thepolice......::shrug:: an issue they all seem to have in common. 1) Begs the question. 2) Not true.
                    Is true. Why do you not believe that?
                    V

Comment

"Bart Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                      In Message-ID:<[email protected]> posted on Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:53:54 -0400, yaffaDina wrote: Begin
                      I expected to be just as lovely was the stereotypical Winston Churchilllookalike baby
                      Or Alfred Hitch**** <g>

Thats neither Winston or Alfred, its Uncle Fester

Comment

"V" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                        news:Jfi8d.8371$%[email protected]
                        In article <[email protected]>, V <[email protected]> wrote:
                        > In article <[email protected]>,> V <[email protected]> wrote:> >> >"tjab" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]> >> In article <[email protected]>,> >> V <[email protected]> wrote:> >> >> >> >"tjab" <[email protected]> wrote in message> >news:[email protected]> >> >> In article <[email protected]>,> >> >> Steve Sobol <[email protected]> wrote:> >> >> >Draco wrote:> >> >> >> >> >> >> He tried to cuff her calmy, she chucked a hissy fit.> >> >> >> >> >> >Just so I understand: was she simply yelling, or did she getphysical?> >> >>> >> >> And whatever the answer, whose word are you taking for it?> >> >>> >> >Do you trust a reporter, a police report, or oh....the video> >> >running
                        in
                        the> >> >car?> >>> >> Why do you ask?> >>> >> >Why is it that you are asking, young grasshopper?Whose word are you taking?V>> Because I'm not aware that any reporter witnessed the incident, nor> of any video from a car. Are you?No. I have not seen it with my own eyes, so I simply do not know who
                        actually
                        was the bad guy here, if there is one. Yet, studying criminals, andbeingaround them, observing behavior, they usually like to fight thepolice......::shrug:: an issue they all seem to have in common. 1) Begs the question. 2) Not true.
                        Perhaps it isthe crack cocaine or just a nasty case of hormones in a pregnant lady. I
                        was
                        mean to a cashier the day before I went into labor with my son. I didnotswing at her, though.I wanted to so bad since she was so **** slo---------w.anyway....It does not seem that you are interested either, by the reply of ,..."And whatever the answer...."SO what is your theory? My theory is that a lot of people here are expressing opinions without listening to the woman's side of the story. And that talking loud on a cell phone is Constitutionally protected free expression. It may be rude, but it's not a legitimate police matter.
                        I am a woman! If she was talking in a state where they require hands free, it is illegal, if she was not using a hands free.
                        there are no ordinances anywhere that require you to be hands free
                        when you're a pedestrian. she wasn't driving her car into the DC metro
                        station.
                        There are noise ordiances isn't there? Freedom to drive your neighbors insane with loud music? Nope. That, poster, is against the law. Our freedoms do not allow us to be obnoxious. They should be used as respectfully as possible. V V

Comment

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:19:53 GMT, "V" <[email protected]> wrote:
                          I am a woman! If she was talking in a state where they require hands free, itis illegal, if she was not using a hands free.There are noise ordiances isn't there? Freedom to drive your neighbors insanewith loud music? Nope. That, poster, is against the law.Our freedoms do not allow us to be obnoxious. They should be used asrespectfully as possible.VV

What states require pedestrians to use hands free cellphones?

Comment

"Bob Ward" <[email protected]> wrote in message

snip
                            I know it is in my states legislation right now. Another few months and it
                            will be enacted. Remember, a municipality can enact their little
                            ordinances....also, tribal communties can enact their own laws.

Here is something to look at.....
                            http://www.nmoa.org/Products/phone.htm
                            Thirty-five states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico considered
                            measures to prohibit the use of hand-held mobile phones while driving.

New York recently became the first state to pass a law outlawing handheld
                            phones while driving.

At least 13 municipalities or counties have passed restrictions that require
                            drivers to use hands-free devices while operating a motor vehicle.

An estimated 300 additional local jurisdictions including Aspen, Colo.; Boca
                            Raton, Fla.; Santa Monica, Calif.; Philadelphia; Cleveland; and Chicago may be
                            considering or already have considered similar ordinances. New York City
                            prohibits taxicab drivers from using cell phones while driving.

Comment

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:28:27 GMT, "V" <[email protected]> wrote:
                              "Bob Ward" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected] .com...snip
                              I know it is in my states legislation right now. Another few months and itwill be enacted. Remember, a municipality can enact their littleordinances....also, tribal communties can enact their own laws.Here is something to look at.....http://www.nmoa.org/Products/phone.htmThirty-five states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico consideredmeasures to prohibit the use of hand-held mobile phones while driving.New York recently became the first state to pass a law outlawing handheldphones while driving.At least 13 municipalities or counties have passed restrictions that requiredrivers to use hands-free devices while operating a motor vehicle.An estimated 300 additional local jurisdictions including Aspen, Colo.; BocaRaton, Fla.; Santa Monica, Calif.; Philadelphia; Cleveland; and Chicago may beconsidering or already have considered similar ordinances. New York Cityprohibits taxicab drivers from using cell phones while driving.
                              You really don't read these messages before you reply, do you? Ignore
                              the words "hands free" for a moment and concentrate on the word
                              "pedestrian". No one is watching - move your lips if it will help.

Still no clue?

Main Entry: 1pe·des·tri·an
                              Pronunciation: p&-'des-trE-&n
                              Function: adjective
                              Etymology: Latin pedestr-, pedester, literally, going on foot, from
                              ped-, pes foot -- more at FOOT
                              1 : COMMONPLACE, UNIMAGINATIVE
                              2 a : going or performed on foot b : of, relating to, or designed for
                              walking <a pedestrian mall

Does that help?

Comment

Joseph wrote:
                                If he's enforcing metro rules whether you think it's "constitutionally protected" is up for debate.
                                If the Metro is owned and operated by the government, it's not up for debate.

On the other hand, I don't necessarily think this is a First Amendment issue
                                anyhow.

--
                                JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
                                Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected]
                                PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
                                Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X