• Officer Shoves, Arrests Pregnant Woman Over Loud Call

washingtonpost.com
    September 28, 2004

Between Metro and Cell User, a Disconnect
    Officer Shoves, Arrests Pregnant Woman Over Loud Call
    By Lyndsey Layton
    Washington Post Staff Writer

Sakinah Aaron was walking into the bus area at the Wheaton Metro
    station several weeks ago, talking loudly on her Motorola cell phone.
    A little too loudly for Officer George Saoutis of the Metro Transit
    Police.

The police officer told Aaron, who is five months pregnant, to lower
    her voice. She told the officer he had no right to tell her how to
    speak into her cell phone.

Their verbal dispute quickly escalated, and Saoutis grabbed Aaron by
    the arm and pushed her to the ground. He handcuffed the 23-year-old
    woman, called for backup and took her to a cell where she was held for
    three hours before being released to her aunt. She was charged with
    two misdemeanors: "disorderly manner that disturbed the public peace"
    and resisting arrest.

Those are the facts on which both sides agree.

They interpret the events of Sept. 9 very differently.

Transit Police and some Metro officials say Saoutis was protecting the
    peace by removing a woman who had overstepped the boundaries of civil
    behavior because she was loudly cursing into her phone.

They say that cell phones have become just another instrument of
    loutish behavior in the public space and that they are fighting a
    dramatic deterioration of manners in the transit system.

"We need better enforcement to allow people to know we are serious and
    want to maintain the high-quality level of the system," said Robert J.
    Smith, chairman of the Metro board, adding that "ranting youth" have
    become a plague on the subway. "This isn't Montana. We live in a very
    dense region, and people are on top of each other all the time."

Smith, who refuses to carry a cell phone, said he thinks Metro riders
    need to use the devices with care. "We wouldn't allow someone to come
    into the U.S. Capitol Rotunda and shout obscenities into a cell
    phone," he said.

But Aaron and some defenders of free speech say the Transit Police are
    the ones who overstepped boundaries by making a crime out of
    conversation and pushing a pregnant woman to her knees. The incident
    took place out of doors and not in the confines of a rail car or bus,
    they note.

And they point to a string of other incidents, including the July
    arrest of a 45-year-old woman for chewing a PayDay candy bar and the
    2000 arrest of a 12-year-old girl for eating a french fry, that are
    earning the Transit Police a national reputation as an agency itching
    to lock up riders.

"Technically, the police officer is right, but the result is wrong,"
    said D.C. Council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1), who represents the
    city on the Metro board. "How do we prevent minor transgressions
    escalating into major problems? It's not what any of us want. We don't
    want pregnant women booked for loud cell phone conversations. We don't
    want 12-year-old girls in handcuffs for eating a single french fry.
    Whether it's training or guidance to our officers, we have to do
    something."

Johnny Barnes, executive director of the Washington area chapter of
    the American Civil Liberties Union, called Aaron's arrest "troubling."

"There seems to be an unusual attention paid to activities of
    patrons," Barnes said. "One should be able to ride the Metro and
    exercise a range of rights without fear of intervention from Metro
    police."

Aaron, who lives in Silver Spring and works as a clerk at the Food and
    Drug Administration, said she was talking to her fiance on her cell
    phone as she walked toward the bus bay about 4:45 p.m. Sept. 9 to
    catch the Route C4 Metrobus.

"Our phone conversation had ended," she said. "I'm walking down the
    stairs and the transit cop said, 'You have to lower your voice,
    ma'am.' I said, 'You can't tell me how loud I can talk.' He said, 'I
    can arrest you,' and he grabbed my arm. I said, 'What are you doing?
    I'm pregnant! Oh, so you want to flex some muscle today?' He grabbed
    my hand, and we struggled."

Aaron acknowledged that she was loud on the phone but said she wasn't
    cursing and lobbed a profanity only after Saoutis grabbed her.

After her release that night, Aaron went to Holy Cross Hospital and
    was treated in the emergency room for a bruise she said was a result
    of Saoutis's pushing her to the ground and placing his knee on her
    upper back.

Saoutis, who is about to complete his first year on the job with the
    Transit Police, was not available for an interview yesterday,
    according to Deputy Chief Tim Gronau.

Gronau said his officer properly enforced the law and arrested Aaron
    because it was clear she wasn't taking his warning seriously.

"We're not either pro or negative cell phones," he said. "The issue is
    [that] the volume of her conversation, coupled with the language, is
    not conducive to socially accepted standards of behavior."

"MrPepper11" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] om...
    washingtonpost.com September 28, 2004 Between Metro and Cell User, a Disconnect Officer Shoves, Arrests Pregnant Woman Over Loud Call By Lyndsey Layton Washington Post Staff Writer Sakinah Aaron was walking into the bus area at the Wheaton Metro station several weeks ago, talking loudly on her Motorola cell phone. A little too loudly for Officer George Saoutis of the Metro Transit Police. The police officer told Aaron, who is five months pregnant, to lower her voice. She told the officer he had no right to tell her how to speak into her cell phone. Their verbal dispute quickly escalated, and Saoutis grabbed Aaron by the arm and pushed her to the ground. He handcuffed the 23-year-old woman, called for backup and took her to a cell where she was held for three hours before being released to her aunt. She was charged with two misdemeanors: "disorderly manner that disturbed the public peace" and resisting arrest. Those are the facts on which both sides agree. They interpret the events of Sept. 9 very differently. Transit Police and some Metro officials say Saoutis was protecting the peace by removing a woman who had overstepped the boundaries of civil behavior because she was loudly cursing into her phone. They say that cell phones have become just another instrument of loutish behavior in the public space and that they are fighting a dramatic deterioration of manners in the transit system. "We need better enforcement to allow people to know we are serious and want to maintain the high-quality level of the system," said Robert J. Smith, chairman of the Metro board, adding that "ranting youth" have become a plague on the subway. "This isn't Montana. We live in a very dense region, and people are on top of each other all the time." Smith, who refuses to carry a cell phone, said he thinks Metro riders need to use the devices with care. "We wouldn't allow someone to come into the U.S. Capitol Rotunda and shout obscenities into a cell phone," he said.
    Good, lock her up. Now I just wish someone, anyone, could arrest the
    thousands of socker moms who are looking one way, driving another way, and
    speaking into their cell phones at every intersection that I come to every
    morning that I commute to work. I say arrest them all and let the judge
    sort them out. Oh, and tow their SUVs to the pound where they can sit for
    $100+/day. Yup, that should just about make everything right in my world.

Comment

"£¢$¥" <£¢$¥@phantom.com> wrote in message
      news:[email protected]com.net. ..
      "MrPepper11" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
      washingtonpost.com September 28, 2004 Between Metro and Cell User, a Disconnect Officer Shoves, Arrests Pregnant Woman Over Loud Call By Lyndsey Layton Washington Post Staff Writer Sakinah Aaron was walking into the bus area at the Wheaton Metro station several weeks ago, talking loudly on her Motorola cell phone. A little too loudly for Officer George Saoutis of the Metro Transit Police. The police officer told Aaron, who is five months pregnant, to lower her voice. She told the officer he had no right to tell her how to speak into her cell phone. Their verbal dispute quickly escalated, and Saoutis grabbed Aaron by the arm and pushed her to the ground. He handcuffed the 23-year-old woman, called for backup and took her to a cell where she was held for three hours before being released to her aunt. She was charged with two misdemeanors: "disorderly manner that disturbed the public peace" and resisting arrest. Those are the facts on which both sides agree. They interpret the events of Sept. 9 very differently. Transit Police and some Metro officials say Saoutis was protecting the peace by removing a woman who had overstepped the boundaries of civil behavior because she was loudly cursing into her phone. They say that cell phones have become just another instrument of loutish behavior in the public space and that they are fighting a dramatic deterioration of manners in the transit system. "We need better enforcement to allow people to know we are serious and want to maintain the high-quality level of the system," said Robert J. Smith, chairman of the Metro board, adding that "ranting youth" have become a plague on the subway. "This isn't Montana. We live in a very dense region, and people are on top of each other all the time." Smith, who refuses to carry a cell phone, said he thinks Metro riders need to use the devices with care. "We wouldn't allow someone to come into the U.S. Capitol Rotunda and shout obscenities into a cell phone," he said.
      Good, lock her up. Now I just wish someone, anyone, could arrest the thousands of socker moms who are looking one way, driving another way, and speaking into their cell phones at every intersection that I come to every morning that I commute to work. I say arrest them all and let the judge sort them out. Oh, and tow their SUVs to the pound where they can sit for $100+/day. Yup, that should just about make everything right in my world.
      I'll give you an Amen to that!
      Betsy (no cell phone for me!)

Comment

"£¢$¥" <£¢$¥@phantom.com> wrote in message
        news:[email protected] ..
        Good, lock her up. Now I just wish someone, anyone, could arrest the thousands of socker moms who are looking one way, driving another way, and speaking into their cell phones at every intersection that I come to every morning that I commute to work. I say arrest them all and let the judge sort them out. Oh, and tow their SUVs to the pound where they can sit for $100+/day. Yup, that should just about make everything right in my world.
        Agreed on all points. And I feel certain you didn't mean to exclude in that
        round-up the "tens of thousands" of those yuppie dads, pseudo-execs 'taking
        a meeting' over their cell phones as they read from the screen of their
        PDAs while recklessly swerving their SUVs across 4 lanes of
        rush-hour freeway traffic as they realize they've just blathered past their
        exit.

My world, too, is now in order.

Wanda

"I used to care, but things have changed." Bob Dylan ("Wonder Boys")

Comment

On 28 Sep 2004 07:48:58 -0700, [email protected] (MrPepper11) wrote:
          washingtonpost.comSeptember 28, 2004Between Metro and Cell User, a DisconnectOfficer Shoves, Arrests Pregnant Woman Over Loud CallBy Lyndsey LaytonWashington Post Staff WriterSakinah Aaron was walking into the bus area at the Wheaton Metrostation several weeks ago, talking loudly on her Motorola cell phone.A little too loudly for Officer George Saoutis of the Metro TransitPolice.The police officer told Aaron, who is five months pregnant, to lowerher voice. She told the officer he had no right to tell her how tospeak into her cell phone.
          Clearly this obnoxious **** deserved the treatment she got. As for the
          fetus, if it's lucky this ***** will miscarry and spare it a life of
          hell being raised by this inconsiderate sack of ****.

--
          Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy.

Comment

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:28:17 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
            <[email protected]> wrote:
            On 28 Sep 2004 07:48:58 -0700, [email protected] (MrPepper11) wrote:
            washingtonpost.comSeptember 28, 2004Between Metro and Cell User, a DisconnectOfficer Shoves, Arrests Pregnant Woman Over Loud CallBy Lyndsey LaytonWashington Post Staff WriterSakinah Aaron was walking into the bus area at the Wheaton Metrostation several weeks ago, talking loudly on her Motorola cell phone.A little too loudly for Officer George Saoutis of the Metro TransitPolice.The police officer told Aaron, who is five months pregnant, to lowerher voice. She told the officer he had no right to tell her how tospeak into her cell phone.
            Clearly this obnoxious **** deserved the treatment she got. As for thefetus, if it's lucky this ***** will miscarry and spare it a life ofhell being raised by this inconsiderate sack of ****.

Scott - the cleaners called - your hoods are ready.

Comment

>Clearly this obnoxious **** deserved the treatment she got. As for the
              fetus, if it's lucky this ***** will miscarry and spare it a life ofhell being raised by this inconsiderate sack of ****.
              ---------------------
              Clearly, she was obnoxious and needed to be taught a lesson, but what
              you said, that's way harsh and uncalled for.

Comment

Reminds me of one of my favorite Dave Chappelle skit series.

Clearly a case of 'When "Keeping It Real" Goes Wrong'. :>)

[email protected] (MrPepper11) wrote in message news:<[email protected] com>...
                washingtonpost.com September 28, 2004 Between Metro and Cell User, a Disconnect Officer Shoves, Arrests Pregnant Woman Over Loud Call By Lyndsey Layton Washington Post Staff Writer Sakinah Aaron was walking into the bus area at the Wheaton Metro station several weeks ago, talking loudly on her Motorola cell phone. A little too loudly for Officer George Saoutis of the Metro Transit Police. The police officer told Aaron, who is five months pregnant, to lower her voice. She told the officer he had no right to tell her how to speak into her cell phone.

Comment

Abe wrote:
                  Clearly this obnoxious **** deserved the treatment she got. As for thefetus, if it's lucky this ***** will miscarry and spare it a life ofhell being raised by this inconsiderate sack of ****. --------------------- Clearly, she was obnoxious and needed to be taught a lesson, but what you said, that's way harsh and uncalled for.
                  The officer could have caused permanent, severe damage to the unborn baby.

At that point, even if she was wrong to be loud and obnoxious (if she was), I'd
                  have told the idiot cop to arrest me. While at the police station I would have
                  been filing a formal complaint and considering pressing charges.

Yes, sometimes it's necessary for a peace officer to use force. They also need
                  to use common sense.

--
                  JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
                  Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected]
                  PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
                  Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Comment

Steve Sobol wrote:
                    At that point, even if she was wrong to be loud and obnoxious (if she was),
                    That should have read "which she was"

I'd have told the idiot cop to arrest me. While at the police
                    station I would have been filing a formal complaint and considering pressing charges.
                    The punishment definitely did NOT fit the crime.

--
                    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
                    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected]
                    PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
                    Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Comment

Steve Sobol wrote:
                      Yes, sometimes it's necessary for a peace officer to use force. They also need to use common sense.

Peace officer. Interesting, semi-soft expression. Common sense is not a
                      quality I would associate with many political enforcement agents.

Comment

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:49:48 -0700, Steve Sobol <[email protected]>
                        wrote:
                        Abe wrote:
                        Clearly this obnoxious **** deserved the treatment she got. As for thefetus, if it's lucky this ***** will miscarry and spare it a life ofhell being raised by this inconsiderate sack of ****. --------------------- Clearly, she was obnoxious and needed to be taught a lesson, but what you said, that's way harsh and uncalled for.
                        The officer could have caused permanent, severe damage to the unborn baby.At that point, even if she was wrong to be loud and obnoxious (if she was), I'dhave told the idiot cop to arrest me. While at the police station I would havebeen filing a formal complaint and considering pressing charges.Yes, sometimes it's necessary for a peace officer to use force. They also needto use common sense.
                        And you don't think the woman had any responsibility to use her phone
                        responsibly? She was asked to keep her voice down and she mouthed off
                        to the officer and ignored the request. You just *don't* argue with
                        an officer of the law.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

Joseph wrote:
                          And you don't think the woman had any responsibility to use her phone responsibly? She was asked to keep her voice down and she mouthed off to the officer and ignored the request. You just *don't* argue with an officer of the law. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You don't argue with the law eh? Would that be the same 'law' that
                          sodomizes men with a billyclub? Would that be the same law that pulls over
                          a woman on a traffic infraction - then rapes and strangles her? Would that
                          be the same law that fires 40+ bullets at an unarmed man? Decent
                          intelligent lawmen deserve respect. All to often these types are a rarity.

A policeman using force on a pregnant woman not engaged in any form of
                          violence is the lowest form of life we can encounter in our society. Such
                          people should be met with a louisville-slugger on the head followed by
                          handcuffing - then kicked to the gutter.

Comment

Ron Miller wrote:
                            Joseph wrote:
                            And you don't think the woman had any responsibility to use her phoneresponsibly? She was asked to keep her voice down and she mouthed offto the officer and ignored the request. You just *don't* argue withan officer of the law.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            You don't argue with the law eh? Would that be the same 'law' thatsodomizes men with a billyclub? Would that be the same law that pulls overa woman on a traffic infraction - then rapes and strangles her? Would thatbe the same law that fires 40+ bullets at an unarmed man? Decentintelligent lawmen deserve respect. All to often these types are a rarity.A policeman using force on a pregnant woman not engaged in any form ofviolence is the lowest form of life we can encounter in our society. Suchpeople should be met with a louisville-slugger on the head followed byhandcuffing - then kicked to the gutter.
                            Well the cop told her to keep it down, she could have behaved like a
                            LADY and talked at a normal decibel. NO she got stupid, he did what he
                            had to do. She should have enough respect for herself to not cuss loudly
                            on her phone. Maybe she should have enough common sense to not struggle
                            when getting arrested.

--
                            Sharing is caring Screw the RIAA

Comment

Steve Sobol <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                              Abe wrote:
                              The officer could have caused permanent, severe damage to the unborn baby.
                              Sheesh. It's not like a uterus is made of Waterford crystal. It
                              isn't as though you can shake out a fetus like candy from a pinata.
                              Nor is a 5 months In Pig belly big enough to make her body rest solely
                              on her abdomen. On some women, you can't tell at 5 months. All the
                              knocked up girls in my high school took gym (volleyball, raquestball,
                              basketball etc.).

Regardless, she was face down on the ground because of her own
                              actions---being an in pig mama doesn't get you off the hook. How hard
                              is it so say "Whatever, officer" and go on with your life and ignore
                              the asshattery he may have exhibited? She certainly wasn't doing any
                              of this in an effort to teach him about effective community policing
                              techiques. It appears that the cop couldn't cuff her otherwise---and
                              yes sometimes there are cops and criminals who can do the handcuff
                              dance upright. So she--the adult--threw a tantrum. All we can do is
                              pray for that pweshus lil chyylldd--becasue that kid has no chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X