This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment Benefits, a career change and back to school

Last August I was laid off from my job at a local newspaper and since then I have been working part time at a hotel and collecting unemployment benefits which run out in October 2010. After six months of looking for a job in my line of work, it has occurred to me that my bachelors degree in Print Journalism is next to worthless. Available jobs in journalism are virtually non-existant in this economy and any openings that do pop up are quickly filled by people with twice the experience and education than I have.

So, with a family to feed, waiting for a print journalism job to fall into my lap is not an option and I have decided to return to school to complete a much more marketable accounting degree. Even if it looked like I could get a job doing what i used to do, I'd consider changing careers anyway since the media isn't known for paying its employees well. (Unless you're Oprah) I will have to be in school for two years, working part time and i was wondering if it was possible to extend my unemployment benefits through that time. I was told by a number of people that it is possible but it doesn't seem likely and the Missouri Unemployment website doesn't mention it.

Also, does anyone know of any other benefits given to people whose careers were eliminated and who have to change careers?
Working...
X