This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an employer cut my hours from 20-30 down to ZERO!??? Missouri

I work for a company in Missouri (although this company is nation wide) who just recently demoted the past manager (who i worked for for 2 years) and brought in a new guy who has taken all the part time people (including myself) and given them ZERO hours a week; trying to get rid of us without firing us our laying us off and bringing people in from his past store to fill our hours. I strongly believe this is being done to get around having to pay us any unemployment as i over heard a private conversation between our new manager and our DM, saying "its too expensive to fire people these days."

Is there anything i can do about this?
    thanks for any responses!

ps... I was getting 20-30 hours a week and then without warning or any reason given (and i asked for a reason!) my hours along with the 4 other part time employees got either no hours (like myself) or something silly like 4 hours one week and no hours the next week.

Comment

Unless you have a binding contract to the contrary, the employer sets your hours and can reduce them. The employer, however, does not get to decide whether or not employees receive unemployment compensation. The state does. If your hours are dramatically reduced, in most states you would qualify for unemployment. I would suggest that you file and see what happens.
      I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Marketeer is correct. No reason is required in MO. File for unemployment. Once he gives you zero hours, you do not have to obey him.

The understanding of some managers here in MO is not the best. (how shall I put it) They are not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Comment

Agree with other responders. File for UI - do not quit.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you guys for your response!
            Do i have a right to get/request copies of past schedules from my employer? If so how far back can i go into my employment history? Or do i need to try to dig up that information myself? ...hopefully ive got a few past schedules somewhere....

Comment

You can, but the employer isn't required by law to give them to you.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

They have to provide them to the unemployment office. Let the employer do the work.

Comment

Well luckily for me i was able to find my schedules from the beginning of November to current. Although i would like my entire employment history its better then nothing...

Also would my employer be able to hold off my request for unemployment if he were to give me just a few hours every once in awhile or every 2 or 3 weeks? The reason i ask is my assistant manager (who is also part time) went from 30+ hours down to 4.5 hours and im wondering if he might try to cycle a couple hour shift between the 4 of us part timers ...so i would have zero hours for a week or longer then something silly like a 4 hour shift?

Comment

Everyone affected should file. The people with the statutes in front of them will tell you what is covered. Under employed counts.

Comment

Well at least i have a much better idea about how to handle this situation. Thanks again to everyone who has responded!!

Comment

Originally posted by aj0170139 View Post
                        Also would my employer be able to hold off my request for unemployment if he were to give me just a few hours every once in awhile or every 2 or 3 weeks?
                        Your employer doesn't decide whether you get UI- the state does. You can file for partial benefits due to a reduction in hours.
                        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
                          They have to provide them to the unemployment office. Let the employer do the work.
                          If they're asked.
                          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X