17 and dad wants to take away my job Mississippi Mississippi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 and dad wants to take away my job Mississippi Mississippi

Im 17 and my father is trying to take away my job.. Is this legal?

Do you want to clarify - are you saying your Father no longer wants you to work/no longer wants you to have a job? Why?

Thanks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

As long as you are under 18 and/or living under your father's roof, it's his house, his rules. Yes, if he wants to "take your job away" or make you quit working, that is 100% legal.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
        As long as you are under 18 and/or living under your father's roof, it's his house, his rules. Yes, if he wants to "take your job away" or make you quit working, that is 100% legal.
        So he can call my employer and tell them i will no longer be coming to work??

Comment

Yes, your dad can just call your employer and tell him you will no longer be coming to work.

You are a minor. Dad says what you can and cannot do. If Dad says you don't have a job, then you don't have a job.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I wasn't completely clear on just exactly what you meant by "wants to take my job away." If he doesn't want you to work, cbg is correct - then you don't work. You're a minor - he makes the rules. I don't know why he would do this but it doesn't really matter - just asked why out of curiosity. Maybe he wants you to spend more time on school work, doesn't care for the place you work at ........ (apparently has his reasons).

Sorry.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Ok thanks for the advise just one more question: can my dad destroy a piece of my property that i paid for

Comment

Define "a piece of property". And tell us what you plan to do about it, if the answer is No. Turn Dad in to the police?

Comment

It sounds like you are having some trouble at home. I'd strongly suggest family counseling. If that isn't feasible, at least visit your school guidance department. Power struggles are not uncommon at your age and it isn't clear if you are acting overly entitled or if your Dad is being less reasonable than he could be. Either way, you are stuck with him and he is stuck with you. Even if you move out at 18, those early adult years are awfully difficult without a strong support system. If you are expecting Dad to help with higher education expenses or housing after your 18th birthday, expect there to still be conditions on that help. That is normal no matter how strict or liberal your parents are. A counselor can help you identify the behaviors which are reasonable and those which are less so. For those which are less so, they can help you learn ways to cope or negotiate the situation so you don't spend the next year at one another's throats.

Personal property laws vary from state to state and even county to county and city to city. There is a very good chance Dad has the right to do exactly what he did and unless we are talking about a major piece of personal property like a car or a house, don't expect the authorities to get involved.
                  I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
                  X