This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I fight this decision? Mississippi

Thank you in advance for any information.
    I have worked regularly all my life, and have had virtually no need for unemployment insurance in the past. In fact, the times that I have applied, I found another job before the process even really began. This time was different. I lost my job in April 09. I began looking for another job, fully expecting to find employment quickly. I did not find another job until August of this year. During this time, I received on call regarding my unemployment claim. I never received a verdict from this, and didn't think too much of it, figuring I would be denied. Two weeks ago, I got a call saying that there would be a hearing regarding the appeal from the employer on my approval. This was a surprise to me, so I participated in the hearing. I received the verdict by mail, and once again, the state sided with me and affirmed the decision. Sounds like good news huh?
    Here's my problem. During the time of my unemployment, I was going through a nasty divorce, and ended up having to move out of state. I did not complete the necessary certification each week like I was instructed to do. As a result, the state is stating that there is nothing to be paid, since I did not "certify" properly. I realize this is mind my mistake, and will probably be filed under "stupid tax", but is there any way to fight this? I never expected to receive benefits, which is why I didn't think about the certification, especially with everything else going on in my life. I am working again, but any help to get back on my feet financially would be a godsend. Does anyone have any ideas? Or is it a lost cause?

There is no harm in appealing. I would never tell anyone not to appeal. I have seen some very odd decisions in both directions over the years. It can do no harm, it might do some good, and the worst that can happen is that you are denied.

However, I would strongly recommend that you not bet the rent on prevailing. Not certifying each week is about the best way I know of to NOT receive benefits.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X