This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum PTO amount Minnesota

My husband works for a small company that allows 5 days of PTO (40 hours). I have always worked for big corporations and have had a minimum of 15 PTO days and 8 paid holidays off. Is there a minimum required amount of PTO days in the state of MN? Only allowing 5 days off during the entire year seems inhumane to me!

No state has any requirement that a private employer offers any PTO at all. Regardless of where you are in the US, it is 100% up to the employer whether to offer any PTO, vacation, paid sick time, or any other form of leave, and if so how much. The same applies to holidays - if you work for a private employer anywhere in the US, it is entirely up to the employer how many paid holidays, if any, to allow and if so which ones.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agreed with everything said. Not fair, not also not illegal.

Past that, there is a rule associated with sick pay taken by Exempt Salaried employees. If at least 5 days annually which could be used for sick pay (which would include PTO) are not offered, then the sick pay plan is not considered "bona fide", which causes some problems with that class of employees. It sounds like the employer is offering just enough PTO to keep in compliance with those requirements.

It is not illegal for the employer to be cheap or otherwise a bad place to work at.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

the worst part is that the employer is my FATHER! Has no moral compass and does not care about any of his employees.....there is a huge chance however that my husband will take over the company so we're trying to stick it out....we'll see.
        Thanks for the reply's

Comment

Good luck! I think most employees work better for the occasional break - it's a shame more employers don't realize that.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X