This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Scheduling Minnesota

Is there anything illegal about an employer scheduling a part-time employee for just a start time and not posting an end time to a shift?

It is a restaurant and for the dinner rush the shift starts at 5 and the employees are sent home anywhere from 30 minutes later to being required to stay until 9 or 10 if it is very busy.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by me33087; 01-30-2011, 10:34 AM. Reason: Changed some semantics - "Is it illegal"

Nothing illegal whatsoever. The law does not address scheduling.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I am not trying to sound snarky, but this question reminds be when someone asked me what the maximum number of hours an employer could make you work in a day/week...the answer is 24 a day and 168 a week.

It is not great that they are not giving a time off, it would be nice to be able to schedule your day, but as a (former) business owner I can completely understand the need to schedule people indefinetely.
      Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Working...
      X