This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory lunch deduction Minnesota

I work as an HVAC service technician. My employer has recently dictated that a half hour lunch is mandatory for any shift over 8 hours. I understand that it is his right to do so but what he is also dictating is that 30 minutes is deducted from your pay regardless of whether the lunch was actually taken or not. My understanding is that while he can mandate the lunch be taken that the consequence for not taking the lunch can only be a disciplinary action not a pay deduction. I understand it that an employer must pay you for all hours worked. Am I correct?

That is correct. Have you asked what the procesd is for you to report when you were not able to take a full 30-minute lunch?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree that is correct but why are you not taking a lunch?
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Often times we get into a job at say 11:00 am and it takes 4-5 hours to complete the job. For example a customer has no heat and we go out, diagnose and start to make repairs. We can't generally just leave and say I'll be back after lunch if they have no heat. We need to stay and complete the repairs first. So when we finish at 3-4 pm and have maybe an hour left in our day it's not really desirable to take lunch. We are supposed to get approval from our supervisor first but generally they say take the lunch at 3-4 pm. That's not the point though. If for whatever reason a lunch is not taken and I can't contact my supervisor for permission (out of cell phone range or something) can they deduct the half hour?
        I was told by the owner of the company that he'll do what he thinks is best for the company and doesn't need some one working for him that quotes him the law. I am looking elsewhere.

Comment

So, keep a detailed record of your time worked, including your lunches and when you were not able to take them. When you find another job, walk out the door and go to your computer and file the wage claim.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Don't forget though you can be disciplined up to & including termination for
            not taking required lunch breaks. You do have to be paid though if you work through them.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
            X