No announcement yet.

What is considered a work week?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is considered a work week?

From Michigan....what is considered a work week? If I work for a company that is open M-Sat, are Sat's considered part of the work week. They are telling me they don't think that Sat's count toward my weekly total to count as full time so that they can take back my second week of vacation pay. TIA

Work Week

The work week is set by your employer, as long as it is fairly consistent from week to week and they are not trying to circumvent overtime hours.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator

work week

So if I am required to work sat's then that's part of the work week?

Every employer is required to have a fixed, seven day work week. Most companies use Sunday through Saturday but they can use any variation they want.

Even days that the company is not open still count as part of the work week since it MUST be a seven day period. No matter how you slice it, Saturdays are going to be part of a work week - it's just a question of whether it's going to be the first day, the last day, or hold some other position.

Do you work regularly on Saturdays or only occasionally?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Commission-only employees required to work weekly floortime?

I need to know if employees can legally be required, in MI, to work an hourly floortime schedule in an office environment if we are only paid commission on the sales we produce. If an hourly schedule is put in place, is my employer required to pay us minimum wage? What about overtime?