X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jturne12
    started a topic Changing hours and days of work. Michigan

Changing hours and days of work. Michigan

I have a full time position in Michigan that works Mon-Fri. On thursday we were informed we would be going to part time and only working a 3 on 4 off achedule that would even out to 20 hours a week. I was given a hand written schedule that showed me starting Monday morning at 9am and working to 2:30pm. On friday morning at around 9:30 I was told to report at 7am and work my normal 8 hours for the 3 days. At 11:30 my employer again told me the scheduel would be changing to 4 on and 3 off at 8 hours per day but I had to start sunday instead of monday. Do to a conflict I am unable to work sunday, scheduled a family event two months ago for this day. My employer informed that if I do not show up Sunday I will be terminated, can they terminate me when I was given such short notice and I have a written schedule showing me starting the new hours on Monday?

• Betty3
    replied
    Agree; minus a binding employment contract to the contrary, your employer can change your schedule/hrs. at their will & terminate you for not working the schedule/hrs.

Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Yes. It's not how I would handle it, but it is legal.

Management decides what your hours are, and they can legally change your schedule every day if they want to. Barring a legally binding and enforceable contract that expressly and in so many words says otherwise, you work the hours your employer says you work, and with a very few, very limited exceptions, you can be fired for not doing so, no matter how little notice you're given.

Good management? Not hardly. Legal? 100%.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X