Changing hours and days of work. Michigan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing hours and days of work. Michigan

I have a full time position in Michigan that works Mon-Fri. On thursday we were informed we would be going to part time and only working a 3 on 4 off achedule that would even out to 20 hours a week. I was given a hand written schedule that showed me starting Monday morning at 9am and working to 2:30pm. On friday morning at around 9:30 I was told to report at 7am and work my normal 8 hours for the 3 days. At 11:30 my employer again told me the scheduel would be changing to 4 on and 3 off at 8 hours per day but I had to start sunday instead of monday. Do to a conflict I am unable to work sunday, scheduled a family event two months ago for this day. My employer informed that if I do not show up Sunday I will be terminated, can they terminate me when I was given such short notice and I have a written schedule showing me starting the new hours on Monday?

Yes. It's not how I would handle it, but it is legal.

Management decides what your hours are, and they can legally change your schedule every day if they want to. Barring a legally binding and enforceable contract that expressly and in so many words says otherwise, you work the hours your employer says you work, and with a very few, very limited exceptions, you can be fired for not doing so, no matter how little notice you're given.

Good management? Not hardly. Legal? 100%.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree; minus a binding employment contract to the contrary, your employer can change your schedule/hrs. at their will & terminate you for not working the schedule/hrs.

Sorry.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X