This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work completed- not getting paid

My fiance has been working for his friend now for about 2 months doing Treework/Landscape duties part time. He got paid for the first 5 weeks (not necessarily on time or consistently, but got paid nonetheless). His friend is the owner of the company (AND he is the only one employed). My fiance got his hours cut at his regular day job and wanted to work extra time so he asked his friend if he needed any help and his friend said yes.
    Anyways, he hasnt worked for him for the past week but still owes him for the two weeks before that (appx 35 total hours worth of work equal to $525.00). He has called him NUMEROUS times and he always gives him excuses like "I'm with a customer, I'll call you back," or simply doesnt answer the phone. He has left messages and the phone calls are never returned.
    Seeing that my fiance is on no sort of payroll or anything (it is strictly under the table), is there anything we can do to get paid? Can we take him to small claims court? The only proof we have of him working would be the customers houses he was at (not that we would even want to get innocent people involved). This is totally unimportant but my fiance has seen and given customers the bills and he is making mega money on these people.
    Should we just threaten him with getting a lawyer or going to small claims court or is there anything else we can do? I realize its not A LOT of money but $525 is $525. Also, my fiance is a VERY hard worker and its not like he was twiddling his thumbs at work- he deserves to be paid.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Mlyjo632; 05-03-2006, 05:57 PM.

Another option is filing a complaint of unpaid wages with the MA Attorney General's office.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

thanks

I didnt realize the second one was an issue until we read some of the threads but thank you for your reply. I will look into that immediately. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X