Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termination of Contract Agreement (MA)

I have been offered a contract position recently. The contract agreement includes the following provisions:

“This agreement may be terminated by the Employer at any time for cause. The Employee may terminate this Agreement at any time after an initial three-month term upon two week’s written notice.”

Is the three-month’s restriction in the last sentence enforceable? What sanctions can be exercised by the Employer if the Employee terminates the agreement during the initial three-month term?

Thank you.

We cannot tell you, based on isolated paragraphs taken out of context, how enforceable the contract or any of the specific phrasing is. Only an attorney in your state who has read the entire document can answer your questions.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you for the answer. I have re-read the Agreement and found that there was nothing else in it related to the termination. The agreement says that "The law of the State of New Jersey shall govern this Agreement."

So perhaps I should have placed this question in the New Jersey employment law forum.

Comment

It wouldn't have mattered; you'd have gotten exactly the same answer. There are limits to what a message board can handle, and this is beyond them.

Sorry, we'd like to help but this isn't a question that is directly addressed by law.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X