X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blogging

MA -

I work for a small publishing company (20+ employees) and have a supervisor/manager (she signs my time sheet) and confers with the owner of the company regarding raises, promotions, and recognition that has a personal blog (I've got the link) and has been very blatant with her dislike of me using examples of my personal behavior. This began in August 2005 and I thought it was just her "way" of being funny and maintaining her "cranky" facade. All my actions and discussions were susceptible to review on her blog that was shared with another member of my company's management team. All the posts were made on company time on company owned machines. However, this weekend it was brought to my attention that she is still complaining about me and referring to me in an unflattering manner.
    I don't even want to come in to work any longer and I certainly do not want to work with or for anyone like that but do I have ANY alternatives?
    Is my only option to begin looking for another job? It seems terrible that she is able to be in a management position and say and write (publicly) such unpleasant things about subordinates.
    Thanks for any & all feedback in advance...

You're familiar with the concept of free speech, right?

For the record, I think your manager is acting extremely unprofessionally and if she worked for me, she'd be told to cut it out in no uncertain terms with her job on the line if she failed to do so. But since she is not acting illegally, the employer is not required to take any action at all. If they are all right with one of their managers making unprofessional comments about a subordinate in a blog instead of (or in addition to) a performance review, there is nothing in the law that is going to force them to take action. And unless the comments meet the legal definition of libel (which is a much higher standard to meet than most people understand) AND you suffer damages as a result, there's no legal action you can take either.

Sorry. I wish I could give you a different answer.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Easy Solution?

Have you considered speaking to either her superior or your human resources department. In my case the HR department is my boss's wife so I understand all too well if you can't, but if that option is available to you it can't hurt to try.

Comment

Thank you for all the information.

I have printed the most offensive of the blogs and will present them to the owner of the company on Monday (he's currently out of town). Additionally, I will begin to look for alternative employment to extricate myself from the current uncomfortable position.

Again, thanks...

Comment

Working...
        X