This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work during UI benefit year

I have a question on laws in MA regarding work during the Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefit year. Iíve started getting the UI recently, and it is likely that will be able to find a short (1-2 months) job soon. Will I be entitled to getting the UI when this job ends?

Here is how I see this. I think if I get the job, I can just stop submitting my UI claims for the weeks of my employment (in these weeks I expect to be paid more that my UI amount). When the employment ends, I just resume submitting my UI claims (perhaps I am not obliged to explain to the state the reason for not submitting the claims for the missing weeks). My understanding that it does not matter whether my job is full-time, part-time or performed as an independent contractor. It also doesnít matter whether my work is performed in MA or in a different state. Am I correct? I would highly appreciate any comments!

That's been my experience in the two states in which I've received UI benefits, although neither of them was Massachusetts.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You will need to let the DET know that you have a new short term job and then notify them again when that job is over and you need to start up your claim again.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Dear Pattymd and cbg,

Thank you very much for your inputs! It looks to me that you basically agree with my understanding. However, having given some additional thought to this issue, I started doubting that everything is always so smooth. Will I be still entitled to the UI if (a) I get fired from the new job or (b) I perform the new job as a contractor I believe that contractors do not normally get UI when the contract is over)?

Comment

Those situations are WAY too situation specific for us to answer here.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X