This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two week paycheck delay

After I started working at my current company (at which I work full-time) in Mass., I was informed that I would not be paid for the first two weeks I worked there until 4 weeks later, but that if I needed it, I could be paid sooner. After my first paycheck (4 weeks later) I asked if I could receive the two weeks pay; ie, not be on the "two week delay." I was informed that I could not do that, my paychecks would always be delayed two weeks, and that [the HR director] did not "just make the policy up, many other companies do it." Am I correct in my interpretation of state law, namely that "If employed 5-6 days in a calendar week" the employee must be paid "within six days of the end of the pay period during which the wages were earned"?

Pay

The Massachusetts website is having trouble today so I cannot do in-depth research.

If what you say is true, issuing pay 2 weeks in arrears is illegal. Companies who are not based in a state with such a law may not understand the timing. You can certainly give the information to the HR person.

However, I have a question for you...you are now receiving your pay on a regular basis. Is correcting your employer's practice so important to you now that it is necessary to push on this topic. I have no doubt that you will get all of your money, one way or another.

I'm not saying that employees should look the other way, should their employer not be in compliance with the law. All I'm saying is that it is important to make decisions after you have thought out the impacts to you.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
    X