This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaks

I was an employee in Ma. working for a company that would require several machines to run an entire 8 hour shift which I was assigned to the rest of the companys employees had 2 schedualed breaks one at 9am for a period of 10 minutes and another at 12pm for a 20 minute luch break all employees worked 7 1/2 hours and are paid for 8 except for the machines of which is one that I worked on ran for the full 8 hour shift with no schedualed breaks

MA law requires that any employee who works more than 6 hours receive one thirty minute unpaid meal break. That is the only break required under either MA or Federal law.

If you are not receiving it you can file a complaint with the MA AG's office, which functions as the DOL in this state.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

agreed.

...one other thing: you didn't specify the types of machines you're working with, but OSHA and/or industry regulations may require other breaks. These are typically safety related issues.

This post is by Philip Gordon, a Massachusetts employment attorney (www.gordonllp.com).

This post is NOT legal advice. It is for general/educational information purposes only. You should not rely on this post if you are making decisions, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post may be considered "advertising" under the MA professional rules for attorneys.

Comment

Working...
      X