This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant; UMASS making me pay to hold position

I am currently pregnant with my second child and must take this semester off. I got a letter from my university in Massachusetts (UMASS Boston), saying that I would have to pay $175 to hold my position in the univeristy. I don't understand how this can be legal. MANY other universities let you take off at least a semester or two to have a baby. How can UMASS make you pay? Is this legal?

Thanks!

Beth

Are you an employee or a student? It's not clear from your post.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

I am a student at the university in the graduate program. Because of No Child Left Behind, all teachers are required to get Master's degrees in their subject field in order to be considered "highly qualified." So I'm going to school strictly for my job, and the public school I teach for reimburses me for a portion of my tuition. Does my going to school for my job make a difference?

Thanks!

Beth

Comment

Most colleges/universities have policies and procedures in place for when a student needs a leave of absence, whether the need for the leave is based on having a baby or taking a semester off to travel. The UMASS website (http://www.umb.edu/students/student_...gulations.html) seems to state that all graduate students taking a leave of absense must pay a "program fee". I would assume the $175 is it. This is not illegal.
        I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X