This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banquet Dept. Springfield, MA

I would like to know if I am entitled to know exactly what my tip is at the end of each of my shifts. I receive $2.63 an hr. and my tip is 17% off my parties for that evening. We are not cashed tipped. Its taxed and I receive a regular pay check each week. My boss told me that I do not have the right to know what I am getting paid until I receive my pay check. My question was, and is, how would I ever know if I am getting paid correctly? They could change my tip and I would never know. I have caught mistakes before, as I do try to figure out my tip on my own. They did it to us on NY eve, and other times when I have questioned, and find they didnt add certain things in. My boss is sly, he also says that our Banquet Manager is not really a manager, its just some title they gave her it means nothing... she is in charge of our department and delegates all the rules... Ok, so she is paid hourly and tipped along w/ us (I am currently deciding what step I will take next to go further with this issue) I know I will have to eventually have to leave this job, but I want things rectified because I am tired of being screwed over and over, along with the other members of my department. Other members of my department are afraid to speak up, but I am not, I will probably also write a letter to corporate expressing the treatment of their employees, because is is horrible. I have also heard before, feel lucky you have a job....... Thanks for all your help in pointing me in the right directions it is really appreciated. Lisa

Take a look at the post entitled "Manager - tipped and punching a time clock" for thoughts on the manager receiving tips.

As for record keeping, you are entitled to review records at reasonable times and places.

chapter 151, section 15, provides in part that, "Every employer shall keep a true and accurate record of the...amount paid each pay period to each employee, of the hours worked each day and each week by each employee, and such other information as the commissioner or the attorney general in their discretion shall deem material and necessary...An employer shall allow an employee at reasonable times and places to inspect the records kept under this section and pertaining to that employee"
    This post is by Philip Gordon, a Massachusetts employment attorney (www.gordonllp.com).

This post is NOT legal advice. It is for general/educational information purposes only. You should not rely on this post if you are making decisions, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post may be considered "advertising" under the MA professional rules for attorneys.

Comment

Working...
    X